Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, bike is a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750..

So I took my exhaust off to install some forward controls and I put it back on last night. When tightening up on the front portion, it seemed like it was going on tighter than it should be (not sure) whereas the part towards the back seemed to go fairly smooth. I used the proper torque when putting it on (18ftlbs) and had used new gaskets. When I checked out after, I noticed it looked a little odd. The top of the joint collar looked like it wasn't in all the way and maybe binded up against the edge of the exhaust port. The end of the exhaust that slides over the bolts also looks like it is bowed a little as well too (and probably the collar is too).

I think I know the answer here, but will ask anyways.. should I just pull off the exhaust and replace the gaskets again and do it one more time? I presume that collar should be all the way inside, since that seems to be what it looks like on the other side.

I've attached an image and highlighted the edge of the exhaust port so you can see better what I mean. Also, I can't tell, but it seems like it's only doing this on the top part of the exhaust (feels like it's flush on the bottom).

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ya the warping I think might have happened when tightening it down, I'm guessing, cause I never noticed that before.

I have a couple crush gaskets on order so I'm going to pull the exhaust off and re do it. I'll also give me a chance to look at the gaskets to see if they had crushed down at all. The bottom of the exhaust has no space at all between it and where the foot controls attach to the frame too although that was always the case....but I'd imagine I can seat this thing better.

Does anyone know if these joint collars need to go in a certain way (I. E. rotated to a certain angle)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answereed my own question on the joint collar.

Also, my joint collar is actually pretty heavily warped, as is the joint itself. I took them both off, and I tried to just line the joint onto the bolts, and it wouldn't even go on. I'm assuming they are both supposed to be flat, but mine are fairly curved now.

I'll see if I can straighten them out somehow, but if not, they're both pretty cheap and I'll try and find some new ones.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
For future reference, do NOT tighten any of the exhaust bolts until the headers are properly seated. The header seal is critical, the rest of the hanger bolts will flex and make do.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
I may be telling you the obvious but make sure your alternate tighting the bolts until they are snug. Then again alternate as you bring them to proper torque. Do it in stages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a 2nd crack at it with brand new joints / collars / gaskets and even had a buddy help put it on. He put that side on and it ended up looking pretty much the same again. Argh. I ran the bike for a bit and I'm not noticing any problems. I tried doing a few things to test for a leak, and there didn't seem to be any. That said, I'm still nervous about it. I am going to take one more crack at it when I get some new gaskets. I will have someone help again, but this time I'm putting that side in, myself, and going to be pretty methodical about tightening everything down.

Is there anything I could be possibly doing wrong (as far as positioning the collar/joint.. seems pretty idiot proof.. doesn't seem like the collar has to be rotated in a specific way other than to ensure it's flush against the pipe)? Seems like everything was on there correctly.. I don't think I can get the pipes in there all the way without first tightening stuff down (to compress the gaskets) so it's kind of hard to know if what I'm doing is about to work. This probably should not be anywhere near as hard as I've made it out to be :p

Hopefully 3rd time is the charm, and I'll be even more cautious as I do it. I did alternate tightening the bolts last time, but admittedly I wasn't really overly specific about the number of turns on each bolt.

I'm somewhat concerned that maybe my forward foot controls stick out a bit too far. They're right up against the bottom part of the pipe. That said, before I had these on here, there were highway bars in that spot and they were right up against the pipe too.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Like I said in my earlier post, you can't tighten anything until the headers are set and snug. That means the clamps that hold the mufflers to the headers have to be loose. The rear hangers have to be loose. The headers HAVE to be able to rotate in the mufflers, otherwise, they won't seal up tight and proper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, thanks O.E.J., that helps. That gives me something to work with here.

One other thing I'm wondering, for those that have done this... there's two bolts down underneath the muffler. Did you tighten those down before doing the nuts on the exhaust joints? After the nuts on the exhaust joints? At the same time as the exhaust joints? I'm a little confused on that because I'd think that I'd want to rotate through each of the 6 nuts slowly, but the manual almost makes it sound like you tighten down the exhaust muffler bracket nuts first then do the others.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but considering I'm going to be on try #3, I want to have as much info as I can to get this right.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
I would start at the head set and tighten there and then work my way to the back of the exhaust

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waiting for gaskets to arrive still, but was wondering if someone would mine taking a similar picture like I did above just so I can see what it looks like when done right and know what I'm aiming for. I mean, I have a good idea, but still might help. This would be a close up shot of the exhaust joint going into the bike up at the front of the bike. Bonus points if that little cutout area is visible. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts