Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted recently I'm hunting for new pipes/ about info about pipes. I have 2 questions.

1) In the interim before I find my new exhaust system. Is there a way to make the stock pipes on my 07 C50 Blvd louder. I know there some methods of doing this. What is the easiest, cheapest, safest way to add a little volume (I was almost run off the road twice this morning by morons who didn't see that I was next to them)

2) Exhaust wraps. Look awesome, whats the point? I know they are a heat shield. What are they shielding... your leg, the bike, really whats the point of exhaust wraps?

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. I would not do anything with your stock pipes, sure you can make them louder but why? and what if you want to go back to them, why ruin them. And as for being run off the road, louder pipes will do nothing for that, you need to read some books on riding or take a class and learn how to ride right by scanning and using this to avoid unfriendly cages.

2. Not 100% sure on the exhaust wraps but I think they serve multiple purposes. one to keep the hot exhaust in the pipes. Also can protect plastic farings ect.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
1) In the interim before I find my new exhaust system. Is there a way to make the stock pipes on my 07 C50 Blvd louder. I know there some methods of doing this. What is the easiest, cheapest, safest way to add a little volume (I was almost run off the road twice this morning by morons who didn't see that I was next to them)
Contrary to popular belief Loud pipes do no good when the vehicle is beside or in front of you, the sounds is still directed to the rear, try to stay away from cars, speed up or slow down, remember to always ride like your invisible and keep your head and eyes moving.

2) Exhaust wraps. Look awesome, whats the point? I know they are a heat shield. What are they shielding... your leg, the bike, really whats the point of exhaust wraps?
to begin with it was for heat (keeping it off the riders legs) then people started liking the looks of it....personally I don't think it looks all that good, but that's just me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
As for the exhaust wrap the idea behind it is to help carry the heat away from the motor with the exhaust. You are insulating the pipe and supposedly the exhaust gas stays hotter passing thru the pipe(carrying more heat away from the engine. Some of the ceramic coatings are suppose to do the same thing. It also helps to insulate various body parts from getting burned.

Kev

·
Slow Down.. You'll See More
134 Posts
Cheap way to make the pipe a little louder is to "punch the baffle out with a peice of sharpened rebar (PM me if you want details). As fer wrap, the theory is to keep the exhuast as hot as possible for better flow. either way it looks freakin cool and i recommend it. Both things you mention I have dun on my Vulcan500 and are a riders preference and i say GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Part....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:543|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I found this on Flea Bay tonight, stock exhaust for a C50 with the first baffle (the one at the end of the pipe) already removed, but there is only 20 hrs and 47 min. left for bidding and it is now 11:47 pm Central Time (which I think is about 8:47 pm your time)

I just checked to make sure of the year, and they are for '01-'08, so they will work on your bike, right now the bid is $75.00

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as I understood it, removing the baffle did make it louder, but also had a negative effect on horsepower. True? Untrue?

Thanks for the info on wraps... I have done more research and am definitely going for it.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
as I understood it, removing the baffle did make it louder, but also had a negative effect on horsepower. True? Untrue?

Thanks for the info on wraps... I have done more research and am definitely going for it.
it can (I think) but you shouldn't really be able to tell the difference

·
134 Posts
I found it was more of a better sound and if anything it gave it a little more "gettyup"

·
134 Posts
if you want wrap I found the cheapest on the net. PM me if you need me to find the site and I'll try to figure out where I got it! as fer the pipes I dont think you need to "remove" anything just a sledge and a sharpened peice of steel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts