Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My motorcycle is trk502x(2000km). My motorcycle shows signs of overheating at idle. What could be the cause? Official repairer says this is normal. It's because the catalysts are active better. I want to hear your opinoin.

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
If they say that's normal then those are some very thin headers. At night you will see such things much easier but I'd say you bike is running way too lean. Have you changed mufflers for a more free flowing kind? If so then most certainly you are running way too lean now. Need to add a tuner and change the map if a newer bike with fuel injection,. You don't say what year. Or if carburator then different jets. The guru's will be along to help further.

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
That does look very hot but some of them nowadays are set up that lean, believe it or not! The first time my wife rode her perfectly stock Scout slowly on a very dark road I noticed the dull red glow of the exhaust pipes as I rode alongside. I was very concerned, had her stop, of course it got even hotter then! She rode home, then I went online and discovered that according to many folks (and a friend who at the time was head mechanic at an Indian dealer) they all do it, thin headers and a very lean setup has them running at a dull red glow normally. My guess is that with the cool running water cooled engine they can run it leaner and the engine is OK, but the exhaust is very hot. She has about 20K miles on it, no problems, and the headers seem to be surviving just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply.
My muffler is original. And it is the 2020 model year. I bought it in September, 2019. Should I continue riding for mapping?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That does look very hot but some of them nowadays are set up that lean, believe it or not! The first time my wife rode her perfectly stock Scout slowly on a very dark road I noticed the dull red glow of the exhaust pipes as I rode alongside. I was very concerned, had her stop, of course it got even hotter then! She rode home, then I went online and discovered that according to many folks (and a friend who at the time was head mechanic at an Indian dealer) they all do it, thin headers and a very lean setup has them running at a dull red glow normally. My guess is that with the cool running water cooled engine they can run it leaner and the engine is OK, but the exhaust is very hot. She has about 20K miles on it, no problems, and the headers seem to be surviving just fine.
Thanks for your answer. I'm weird. I don't know why this happens to only my car among many of the same models. Is the same thing still happening in your wife's bike?

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
And it is the 2020 model year
Then it's fine. The newer bikes are running very lean as Mike
has stated as well. Mine did the same until I remove the cat
so had the change the tune to account for it. Mine no longer
glows.(y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
5,278 Posts
Yes, her Scout still glows, it's still basically stock. it's normal for that model with the stock exhaust.

Thanks for your answer. I'm weird. I don't know why this happens to only my car among many of the same models. Is the same thing still happening in your wife's bike?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts