Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kz1100 and it has sat for a long time I’m guessing, since the person I bought it from has shown to be unreliable. This was my first time running it on gasoline and it put out a lot of smoke and I’m pretty confident it was white. There’s no radiator, at least to my knowledge so it’s not a coolant leak and a majority comes out of the left exhaust pipe and the left pipe will also continue to smoke after its shut off. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
I would do some research, so you can tell us you are absolutely sure it is air cooled. Meaning no radiator.
You said this is the first time it has run on gas. What was it running on before? Or did you mean the is the first time it has run for a while. If the later is correct, then expect things to not work correctly. Like the needle valves shutting off properly, some plugged jets, low compression, and a variety of other problems. Like no brakes.
White smoke is often too much fuel, so go back to the float level and needle valves. Or a plugged air filter.
What would also help. Did it ever in its past run real sweet, and if it did, what changed?

UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would do some research, so you can tell us you are absolutely sure it is air cooled. Meaning no radiator.
You said this is the first time it has run on gas. What was it running on before? Or did you mean the is the first time it has run for a while. If the later is correct, then expect things to not work correctly. Like the needle valves shutting off properly, some plugged jets, low compression, and a variety of other problems. Like no brakes.
White smoke is often too much fuel, so go back to the float level and needle valves. Or a plugged air filter.
What would also help. Did it ever in its past run real sweet, and if it did, what changed?

UK
It’s the first time it’s run in a while, I did a carb rebuild, but I beginning to think I’m just stupid because I’m starting to notice a blue hue. Maybe it’s time for new rings.

·
Premium Member
9,822 Posts
Run it for a while first. The compression should improve after a month or two.
I have an 80 XS1100 Yamaha that has been sitting since about 92. The compression is down about 20 pounds.

UK

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
If the bike was winterized before it was parked, it may just be burning oil that was squirted into the cyclinders when it was winterized.

If that is the case, it will take a little while to burn that oil out.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Have you ever run this engine to running temp? If not, the smoke could also simply be condensation build up. I had a 250cc scooter that smoked like a car with a blown head because I never let it get to running temp during my rides to work. When I realized what I was doing I gave it an "Italian tuneup" and the issue went away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts