Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I have a 2004 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic. (My first bike) I've been riding almost a year now, and I want to upgrade my bike. I'm turning it into a bobber with some 14" apes...lol

My first step is upgrading my exhaust, my air intake, and rejetting my carbs.
I hear good things about Vance and Hines, and I would like to go with the Shortshots or the Cruzers (which they don't make anymore, but I can get them off Amazon)
I would prefer the Cruzers, because I think they sound better. (I know, my bike is only a 650, but hey, what the hell)

My question is this: What air kit and rejet kits do I need that are most compatible with my bike and the V&H Cruzers?

·
Ace Tuner
1,862 Posts
Hi all!
I have a 2004 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic. (My first bike) I've been riding almost a year now, and I want to upgrade my bike. I'm turning it into a bobber with some 14" apes...lol
My first step is upgrading my exhaust, my air intake, and rejetting my carbs.
My question is this: What air kit and rejet kits do I need that are most compatible with my bike and the V&H Cruzers?
The exhaust system doesn't make a lot of difference but the "air kit" could, or will, make a big difference when it comes to carburetor tuning (jetting) the V-Star 650.
If you're thinking to increase the amount of intake air flow, the Kuryakyn Hypercharger will do that. I'm sure there are others on the market also. Or, you could modify the original air box by removing a substantial amount of plastic on the back side (removing the air restriction) as a way to greatly increase air flow and retain the original air filter type.
I've done them both ways.
You'll have to study the original air box to understand what, how much and where to remove plastic if you go that route. YouTube might help with that.

I like Factory Pro jet kits because they are straight forward WITHOUT a bunch of changes done just for the sake of change.
You'll need to buy main jets large enough (around 5 ~7 steps over stock size) to compensate for the air increase because the jet kit was intended for a stock air system but you will need the adjustable jet needles the jet kit comes with.
To get it right you will have to learn how to "read" spark plugs if you don't already know.... The good news is spark plugs are easy to get to on your machine.

S F

1 - 3 of 3 Posts