Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful day today in this part of the Midwest, and I'll be leaving soon on for a day (partly) on my bike. My wife wants to go to the Sheep and Yarn Show in Jefferson, WI and I want to ride the motorcycle. So we combine the two and I put up with a couple of hours at the Show watching women (mostly) oohing and aahing at skeins of yarn and wool shearing demonstrations. Its about 90 minutes riding each way so I get 3 hours of riding, and with the motorcycle, there's a real limit on how much my wife can buy at the Show! I spend my time at the show people watching, and especially trying to see how many men (mostly) are printing (where I can detect their concealed carry firearm). Last year I spotted two and wondered if any spotted me!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a nice day riding to and from this show, and only was there for about an hour. I didn't see one person obviously carrying. What surprised me was that it was a literally perfect day for riding a motorcycle, and yet in the 150 miles traveled I hardly saw any bikes at all. Seems crazy to me to not be out riding when the weather is so great, especially on nice Wisconsin rural roads.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
No pics of sheep and/or yarn?? :D

It's hard for me to wrap my head around why people would think their life may be at risk at a show like that,, making the feel the need to carry(?)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the show I had little or no security concerns. And to get there and home I rode about 150 miles, mostly on smaller rural roads. I didn't expect trouble there either. If I expected trouble I would not go at all to that location, or I would carry more effective firearms like a good semi-automatic rifle. But we never know when trouble will come to us, and it can happen in the most benign places and situations. That doctor in his upper class home in CN didn't expect thugs to break into his home, rape and murder his wife and daughters, and leave him for dead while setting his house afire. Bill Cosby's son didn't expect his Mercedes to break down on an LA freeway and then have someone stop and kill him. I'd rather carry and thus have at least some ability to defend myself and my wife should the need arise, and as many have said, better to have and not need, than need and not have.

·
Registered
699 Posts
At the show I had little or no security concerns. And to get there and home I rode about 150 miles, mostly on smaller rural roads. I didn't expect trouble there either. If I expected trouble I would not go at all to that location, or I would carry more effective firearms like a good semi-automatic rifle. But we never know when trouble will come to us, and it can happen in the most benign places and situations. That doctor in his upper class home in CN didn't expect thugs to break into his home, rape and murder his wife and daughters, and leave him for dead while setting his house afire. Bill Cosby's son didn't expect his Mercedes to break down on an LA freeway and then have someone stop and kill him. I'd rather carry and thus have at least some ability to defend myself and my wife should the need arise, and as many have said, better to have and not need, than need and not have.
I was going to answer Nordicman, but I see you covered everything I was going to say quite succinctly!! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I worked armed security for several years (no I wasn't a wanna be cop, I just liked the job) but after I stopped working in that job area I thought about getting a concealed carry permit....but I couldn't see a real reason I would need to carry all the time....I do agree that it is a right and I think people should take advantage of that right...but at the same time I saw way too many people working security that had no business carrying a gun...

I am sort of a conundrum when it comes to the second amendment, where as I believe it is a right and don't want the government try to tell me if and when I can own or carry a gun, I believe that some of the gun laws are good ones, especially the background checks....

I'm 42 years old, disabled and don't go out a lot any more, but even when I did there were only a few times I thought it might have been a good idea to be carrying a gun, like the few times I had to carry a deposit to the bank after hours for a place I worked for, or if I knew I was going in to a high risk area (back when I drove a tow truck) but other times I had no real need for one....I'm not saying that people who carry all the time are wrong, or any other derogatory things (although there are some that should never even be allowed to own a firearm lol) and I don't try to talk people into doing things my way, I just have found that in my lifer personally there hasn't been a real need for it....

on topic though (short semi-rant over :D) it sounds like you had a good ride and I have to agree with you on the weather although I'm in Missouri not Wisconsin, it was a nice day to be out an about

1 - 6 of 6 Posts