Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcyclists,

I have become aware that my bike is a little shaky under heavy load (over 4.5k rpm) and can become uncomfortable for the long haul. I can describe it as acting normal and not shaking that much... but when I rev it up the vibrations seem to get worse as it gets higher. I am not having an issue with pick up, it goes fine.

It does not effect driveability, its just very uncomforting (making me shift at 4k when necessary). I have replaced the spark plugs and it seemed to make it a little smoother, but still is vibrating bad under high rpms. There is no rod knock or it doesn't sound like anything major is going on. I cant really take a video of the issue, but you can definitely feel it in the handlebars. Any idea what I could work on to help this?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
engine vibration

All engines will vibrate to a certain extgent, and sometimes, you won't feel it at first but after you ride a while, you feel things that you didn 't feel before.

You need to know that when an engine starts to vibrate extensively, it is usually accompanied with noises. You should tune your ear in, instead of your senses, and listen for loud noise, low oil, chain wear, and even loose chain flop can cause engine vibration. You say it gets worse as you increase the rpms. so check the motormounts for tightness, and all the cases. get a torque wrench, and make sure you know how to use it. get the specs, and retorque all the main connecting bolts, the drive connections, anything that might have shook loose over the years. do your maintanence while your regular maintanence while you are busy, and finish up with a good old milage check. keep a record of all your work. let us know if this helps....!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
What's the bike? Old bike are big time shakers...mine has crank counter weights and it still shakes...can't imagine what it would be like without that counterbalance.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Engine design has a lot to do with how you feel the vibration. My V-twin is fairly smooth, but I needed to add a BarSnake to quiet the handles above about 60mph. My old parallel-twin CB450, though, always vibrates, even with a careful carb sync and good timing. Bar end weights help, but only so much. The 400-650 single-cylinder engines were always called thumpers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the current replies.. .I forgot to add i have a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (Sport touring).

It is just a pestering buzz that many other EX-500 riders mention, and I would like to get rid of it. I will try using rags on the handlebars to see if the vibration simply can be fixed with cushion. I will pull out my inch pound and foot pound torque wrenches and go to work haha. Hope I can find this crazy vibration...!

What are these Bar end weights (I know... google)?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its the whole bike, I can feel it in the seat and pegs (ladies, please). I am trying to put a stethoscope on parts but its pretty loud and hurts your ears...!

Thanks for the tip dod.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds to me it's more than just the usual vibration you get from these bikes. I had what I think is the same bike (GPZ500 over here) and I had a similar problem. Turned out that the left hand rubber engine mounting bush was completely shot which is a common problem I believe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds to me it's more than just the usual vibration you get from these bikes. I had what I think is the same bike (GPZ500 over here) and I had a similar problem. Turned out that the left hand rubber engine mounting bush was completely shot which is a common problem I believe.
I have been looking around ex-500.com and this is mentioned once.. I'll check this out!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I took it to my local shadetree mechanic that was a deal on service thus far, and he royally ****ed me with a diagnostics charge to do nothing. Looks like I'll ride bumblebee here until I can afford a nicer bike that doesn't buzz..!

$200 to literally ride my bike and add a fairing screw. Remind me to never take it to a mechanic when I can figure it out my self. I will find the source eventually..!

·
American Legion Rider
20,060 Posts
You aren't being realistic. You have yet to find it even with suggestions here. He took time he could have been working on some other machine to try to find it and made one change that didn't work. So you want him to do this for nothing? It doesn't work that. Time is money. That's the adult world.

Now would you prefer he tear into the engine to try to find what is out of balance and give you a bill for $1,000 and still not find the problem. I'm sure he did the best he could do looking for those things that might cause it short of tearing it down. There are no guarantees looking for vibrations. Could it even be it's normal for that bike and you are chasing ghosts?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I guess that is true, time is money...

Bikes vibrate, okay. I checked all the things recommended by
the EX-500 forum and I guess its just not really a big deal.

I took advice here and tried to fix things on my bike with little success. I might just engineer a few rubber engine mounts. I also wonder with it being a V-twin if it just has those weird vibration issues solely because of a firing pattern.

·
American Legion Rider
20,060 Posts
I'm not even sure mine will go over 4.5k rpms. 2700 is around 75mph on mine so 4500 would really be up there. Are you sure you aren't hitting a rev limiter? How fast are you going at that rpm?

·
Registered
281 Posts
$200 to literally ride my bike and add a fairing screw.
I very, very rarely hire anyone to do anything for me...but when I do, the work and price is determined up front...I tell them what I want done and they give me the price...no more, no less than that price that is agreed to at the start...in writing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not even sure mine will go over 4.5k rpms. 2700 is around 75mph on mine so 4500 would really be up there. Are you sure you aren't hitting a rev limiter? How fast are you going at that rpm?
Bike will rev all the way to 13K at redline, so I think I am only about 35% into the rev limits. This is at 5k and 60 mph and 5.5K at 70mph.

I very, very rarely hire anyone to do anything for me...but when I do, the work and price is determined up front...I tell them what I want done and they give me the price...no more, no less than that price that is agreed to at the start...in writing.
Yeah I said how much at the beginning and he told me, not much. I understand it is my mistake for going out and asking but damn that just seems so ridiculous at $90 an """""""hour""""""" to look at it. I bet they spent 20 minutes on it tops. Nothing about the buzz was fixed at all, just the screws and some blue locktite on my speedo cable!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bet they spent 20 minutes on it tops
You didn't get a written receipt? Boy, I'd be demanding a detailed list of what was done...and it better be more than "Installed screws and locktite".

Took a car to a dealer recently for a problem I figured a pro could fix in a hour where it would take me a couple hours and a special tool purchase....two hours later (at closing time) the mechanic "Couldn't figure it out" and it wasn't fixed...He thought "maybe it was this or that"...all very expensive repairs...they presented me with a $175 bill for the 2 hours...I said no way...long story short, the final bill was $125 and he spent 4 hours "figuring it out and fixing it"...funny, the problem ended up being exactly what I told the service writer when I brought it in...in the end, I could have fixed it faster, and for less money, myself...dealers are so crooked.

PS> The part cost was $40 and I asked to see the part...$40 is steep, but genuine parts are typically more expensive and I expected the dealer to use factory parts...they present the defective item...in a NAPA box...$40 for an aftermarket part that costs $10...400% markup...crooks.

PSS> In the waiting area, they attempted to rollover this old geezer...water pump, $400 plus flush and fill for $125...$525 to replace a water pump! WOW! Absolutely no shame in these dealerships...unfortunately for the dealership, the old guy had worked on a few cars in his day and knew they were taking him for a ride and told them hale no.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts