Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycles are good for nothing..... From the moment Henry Ford's first car rolled off an assembly line, there was no reason for motorcycles to exist. You can't plow a field with one, or build a house with one, or even take your kids to school on one. Practical people sniff with disdain at motorcycles, governments conspire to end their existence, and mothers the world over quake with fear whenever one is near. Motorcycles are unsafe, uncomfortable, and expensive. Motorcycles are good for nothing.

Except for that soul-bursting moment of joy when you crest some high divide with snow fields glittering in the sun, except for that early morning rush of air past you that tingles like the taste of wine, except for that soaring symphony of freedom music in your mind on a twisty country lane, except for that bone deep sense of satisfaction beside the campfire after a five hundred mile day.... except for the fact that on a motorcycle, you forget how little, how limited, how weak, and how transitory you are. Motorcycles are good for nothing....except than they make you feel like you are more you are. And for this reason only, I adore them, and l shall never be without one, ever. People without motorcycles... how do they live? And why?

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Cousin Jack Goudger said:
You can't plow a field with one, or build a house with one, or even take your kids to school on one.
Beg to differ with you on taking your kid to school. Took my daughter to school many times on the back of my bike. She was the envy of most.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
My grandfather raked his hayfield with one. Does that count. Rake was not ground driven like today so he could get that job done much faster using the model A. Back then the hay was piled in huge piles then you hand fed the baler while you positioned a separator and wire twine for each bale. People did what work best. Tractors were slow.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Sorry Hog, doesn't count. A rake isn't a plow.
I assume you meant the rake WAS ground driven. Unless the Model A had a PTO.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
No like I said, back then the rake was just a long thing that was perpendicular to the pulling machine. You raked and dumped. Was a two person operation unless you had horses then it was one person. You may never have seen that type of rake. Ground driven didn't come for years later.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
The dump rakes I've seen must have been a little later versions. They had the dump action activated by ground drive. But you are older than me so I don't doubt you. Still not a plow. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So someone could plow a field or build a house with a model A?
Well, I'm sure someone somewhere did plow with a Model A, and I've seen old photos of saw mills being powered by jacked up model As..... but, evidently you misunderstood my point.... which was that it's difficult to see a motorcycle as a tool, and much easier to see practical utility in a four wheel car. Sorry about that; I'll try to write simpler next time......:icon_cool:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I understood your point, I just don't agree with it. How is it any harder to see a motorcycle as a tool than a Model A? You could just as easily replace the Model A running the mill with a motorcycle on a stand. A hammer and a screwdriver look nothing alike but it is not difficult to see equal value in both as tools.

·
Premium Member
7,347 Posts
Bikes

Jack. Your first paragraph is quite wrong. Might have some merit in your area, but you are outnumbered by the millions in India who use their bikes in so many ways.

Has everyone lost their sense of being good for the environment.
Bikes use a fraction of the resources to build, to operate, and to dispose of. They do much less damage to the roads. They shed much less brake and clutch dust. Much less tyre dust.
A ferry loaded with bikes, uses much less fuel.

In the beginning tractors were stationary. They pulled equipment across a field. The first hydraulic lift at the rear, was designed by Harry Ferguson and put in to production in 1939. Ford used the design under licence to Harry F. Ferguson made about 200,000 tractors, and Ford built about a million. I have a 1941 9N Ford.

You can put a side car on a motorcycle and do all sorts of things. I have a side car on my 79 XS11 Yamaha.

A 480 X 18 knobby on a 450 Kawasaki will make a nice ditch across a field.

Unkle Crusty

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
I thought it was a great poetic type writing. One you take as is and don't try to dissect it.

Hog, I rode on one of those rakes many times. Problem was, I was pretty little and couldn't push the trip with my foot so I had to slide off the seat an just stand on it.

This one has a handle, ours had a foot trip.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Some people cannot see the forest because there are too many trees in the way. Motorcycles are pickup/trucks in some countries. We in the states are the biggest wasteful nation when it comes to vehicles.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Some people cannot see the forest because there are too many trees in the way. Motorcycles are pickup/trucks in some countries. We in the states are the biggest wasteful nation when it comes to vehicles.
We are just a wasteful nation.:frown:

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I thought it was a great poetic type writing. One you take as is and don't try to dissect it.

Hog, I rode on one of those rakes many times. Problem was, I was pretty little and couldn't push the trip with my foot so I had to slide off the seat an just stand on it.

This one has a handle, ours had a foot trip.
Yep, that's it although my grandpa's was bigger. Or maybe I was just smaller?:D The tangs on his was every bit 4 feet tall. His was hand tripped as well. My grandma would drive and he would yell out instructions. I tried once and had to give up after going down the length of the field ONCE. Then it was back in the car with her.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Can you imagine what child welfare would have to say if we still let our kids do some of the things we did as kids? Just think what would have happened if I would have fallen off when sliding off the seat - ouch!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'm rather befuddled .... the whole intent of the first paragraph was sardonic..... to make a point that North Americans see no utility in the motorcycle, and that when young they want to move as fast as possible from bicycles and perhaps small motorcycles to the car...... and I've read somewhere that the Chinese and the Asian Indians are the same... they're on two wheels only because they can't afford a car. The use of cars is exploding in both China and India. I'm frankly slightly angry about the hint that I'm not "green" enough; I rode a bicycle to work for over 30 years, and my wife and I have toured on motorcycles every summer since 1989. We believe in the motorcycle.... I own two and wish I owned more...

The intent in the second paragraph was to illustrate that even if there's no perceived (again, for emphasis, "perceived") "utility" in the motorcycle, there's perhaps an even greater value of the bike, which is to enrich life and make it worth living, as it does for so many of us.....

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Can you imagine what child welfare would have to say if we still let our kids do some of the things we did as kids? Just think what would have happened if I would have fallen off when sliding off the seat - ouch!
They raised adults back then. Now we raise wimps. Oh, take that back, we raise gamers. Still wimps though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts