Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was extremely interesting and well done!

He does some really good work!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting, I used to apply gear oil with a brush to chain, but found it makes quite a mess and attracts dirt
I mainly ride offroad
Still prefers WD40

·
Registered
737 Posts
Same here. WD40 is all I ever used for my dirt bike. Sort of, kind of, maybe lubed the chain, but it sure kept the dirt and crap out of the chain.
As for my road bikes? If I got real ambitious, I'd get a pot, add a quart of oil and boil my chain. Not for a long time, just enough to get the oil hot and soak into the chain. Worked very well.
Now days? Shaft drive.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Yeah, I went shaft drive as well. I admit I just couldn't get the hang of taking care of a chain. I never even thought about WD40 as I know, or at least thought, it was a poor lubricant. I was sold out by the chain lube bull. Chain was always a gritty mess so I just gave up. Guess I learned something just a tad late. I doubt I'll ever have another chain, but if I do, I'll certainly remember this about WD40.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just remember Hog, WD40 is not a lube. I guess with these new modern chains, you don't need to lube them. So use the WD as a cleaner, if you ever get another chain drive.:wink2:
As I said, with the old style chains, I would soak them in hot oil, or use a heavy wt oil on them and wipe them down with a rag. It was still messy. Right or wrong, that's just the way it was.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remember Hog, WD40 is not a lube. I guess with these new modern chains, you don't need to lube them. So use the WD as a cleaner, if you ever get another chain drive.:wink2:
As I said, with the old style chains, I would soak them in hot oil, or use a heavy wt oil on them and wipe them down with a rag. It was still messy. Right or wrong, that's just the way it was.
In the vid, he explains why "lube" is almost unnecessary, i.e. it's main job is to prevent rust on the chain. Modern X and O ring chains are 90% internally lubricated, with only a very small external area benefiting from extra.

As for WD-40, it's a good cleaner but, because it evaporates quickly, it only lubricates for a very limited amount of time.

I find chain cleaning to be relaxing and cathartic! :smile_big: I've been using DuPont Chain Wax but I hate how much gets wasted in aerosol form and will likely switch to heavy gear oil when this can is gone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts