Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone,,
To start off, Vespa is a terrible brand. It's dramatically overpriced, and the engine is less reliable. Only go with Vespa if you're a snobby rich hobbyist. For my two cents, you should go with either a Yamaha or a Honda scooter. They're insanely reliable, parts and maintenance are much cheaper, and everything else is the same. Just to be forthcoming, my money went to a Honda Metropolitan, but the Yamaha I linked to is what I'd buy if I could reinvest the same money today (simply for the added storage and larger wheels).
If you get one of those crappy chinese brands, your scooter WILL die on you. A lot.
The next decision you have to make is two-stroke or four-stroke, and liquid or air cooled. If you're two-stroke, your engine is much simpler and easier to rebuild/repair, but you burn oil/gasoline mixture and your exhaust is worse environmentally than that of some trucks. Four-stroke is the variety of engine used by most modern motorcycles: it burns regular gasoline and happens to be more efficient. Liquid cooled adds weight but prevents engine stalling when you're stopped, while air cooled adds noise but is lighter and cheaper.

·
8,048 Posts
I've had lots of Scooters from 50cc, 2 stroke, Yamaha Zuma's through Suzuki 650 Burgman's, 9 in all and still have the 650. I love scooter's and find them to be lots of fun and very practical. My Zuma 125's got over 100 mpg on my daily 20 mile round trip, to and from work.

Vespa's are beautiful and the newer ones are as feature packed and reliable as most other brands but there are so few dealers around so I haven't bought one. Piaggio/ Vespa/ Aprillia have a long and successful history!

I did have a new Aptillia Atlantic 500 and it was very ahead of it's time, beautiful and reliable.

I wouldn't attach a Cheap piece of CHINESE scooter junk, to my 3 point on my Tractor to use it to plow a field on my FARM.

Sam:)

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
284 Posts
Why the hell would we think of that!? I mean it is a motorcycle forum. I know a few people who ride mopeds and it's usually because they have to, the one's wife said he can't have any motorcycles so he's just planning on getting a Burgman, the other one has a bunch of license issues and good stuff so he's going to get a 49 cc. I don't really see the point otherwise to a scooter, for me; it kinda feels like you're sitting on a lawnmower, they all look god awful compared to any decent looking motorcycle, plastic plastic PLASTIC, itty bitty china ti**y tires, "highway capable", I mean to each their own but other then saving like 15$ on gas every year I don't get the point. I'd say their really comfortable and easy to ride, but then there's bikes like the rebel 500 to me that completely poo on a scooter so yeah I have no clue maybe someone will enlighten me.

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
I always thought Vespa was the Harley of scooters. Right or wrong I do see some might fine ones. Wait, that was the women I was looking at. 🙄🤪😗

Reactions: Porky

·
8,048 Posts
Red, don't ever race a Burgman 650 with your Virago or you MAY be very embarassd. :)

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I started my life as a two wheeler with a Honda scooter. I had young children at home and yes, I gave in to my wife's fears that with a motorcycle I might leave her as a widow with four youngsters, but the scooter really didn't scare her as much. I lived about a mile and a half from where I worked, and a scooter seemed the perfect answer. That scooter was a blast. While only 150cc it could easily reach 65 mph, even with two of us on it, and I rode that scooter everywhere. After about two years of scootering I bought my first real motorcycle, and that was about 35 years ago. About 15 years ago I went through a double knee replacement, and there was just no way that I could comfortably lift my leg over the seat of a motorcycle to get on it, so I bought a new Honda Silverwing. That 583cc scooter could ride at 110 mph, was very comfortable and actually had a lot of advantages over traditional motorcycles, but once my rehab was done and I felt ready, I traded it in for a motorcycle once again.

Skip forward to last year. I decided that I wanted a second bike, in addition to my 2016 Goldwing and was considering one of the lighter, smaller engine bikes on the market. Then my wife said that if instead of a motorcycle I would buy a scooter, that didn't require shifting, she would try to get her license and be able to go on rides with me. The first scooter I considered was a new Vespa 300. But I didn't like the "feel" of it, didn't like the very high seat, and didn't care for the $8,000 price tag. My wife couldn't even sit on it because of the high seat. So we looked at other scooters and ended up buying the one we liked the best, a Honda PCX150. So there I was, full circle, back to this new version of virtually the same scooter that I had started with in the early 1980's.

I ride this little scooter often for errands around town or just for the fun of it. The only modification I made was to add a decent windscreen (which didn't change things as much as I had hoped it would). But oddly, adding this windscreen actually raised my top speed from 64 to 67 mph. My wife ended up deciding that maybe two wheeling was not for her, even on a scooter, but my youngest son often goes out with me with me on the Goldwing and him on the scooter. This scoot is in some ways more fun to ride than any motorcycle that I have ever been on. It is so easy to maneuver and operate that it is like a toy for grown ups. And it gets about 100 mpg so its little two gallon tank gets filled less than the 6.5 gallon tank on the Goldwing which gets 38 mpg.

People who think of scooters as the same as mopeds are really missing out on a great thing. There is little comparison between those tiny 49cc scooters like the Metropolitan, with their 35 mph top speed and a scooter like my PCX or the almost identical Yamaha S-Max.

As I've written about a few times on this forum, I know that at some future point I will have to consider downsizing from my 920 pound Goldwing, and I think that I will either go to a small motorcycle as my new and only ride, or to a highway capable scooter like the Suzuki Burgman 400 or the Honda Forza (300cc) if they bring that model back. For some, a scooter just doesn't meet their mental image of themselves as a motorcyclist, but in terms of fun and riding experience, it can rival or even exceed what a motorcycle has to offer. Try one before dismissing the idea outright, you might really surprise yourself.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
There are many excellent applications for a scooter. Suppose you are a fifty something lady, that needs to travel 2 miles to the ferry, and two miles from the ferry to work. In all kinds of weather which means cold and rain. The lady wears nice clothes including a warm dress in colder weather. A Vespa provides excellent weather protection, but the lady can also wrap a waterproof cover over the lower part of her body. The scooter is first on, first off the ferry, and is half the price of a cage.
Another elderly lady needs a walker to get around. The walker sits in the sidecar attached to the Vespa. The sidecar provides room for groceries.
A used 250 Vespa fetches quite a good price. Used Yamaha and Honda do not.
Unknown to most, was the lifetime warranty on the gearbox of a Vespa. The biggest issue with the early models was the cables, due to lack of oil.
Different uses for different folks. Each May long weekend in Victoria BC, they have a scooter get together. I will take my step thru Honda 90, but an early Vespa would be a hit.
Also on the big island, is an annual tiddler run. 250cc or smaller, 25 years or older. A Vespa would be great. I will take my Honda 90. UK

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Just yesterday I received the latest "newsletter" from Revzilla.com and it had a featured article about whether scooters are motorcycles, or not. Interesting read.

·
8,048 Posts
Larry, stop that!!! You made my heart skip a beat!

Vespa's world wide, tend to attract women riders because of their classy and timeless designs and ease of operation!

I still have a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 that will do MOST everything a Motorcycle will to with aplomb. It is my 3rd one. Yamaha T-max 500 was amazing and in the curves could leave LOTS of Sportbikes. Aprilia Atlantic 500, a Vespa big brother was Superb. Honda Reflex 250 ABS was a surprising performer. a 50cc Yamaha 2 stroke scooter was a blast and it was licensed for street use and I rode it the 10 miles to work frequently @ 35 mph! I had 2 new Yamaha Zuma 125's, one for my Son and one for me and we rode those on up to 150 mile round trip rides on the beautiful country roads of SW Missouri @ up to 100mpg actual when crusing at 50 mph. I LOVE SCOOTERS!

When I was about 15, a local MC Dealer had a new Lambretta scooter on display and I fell in LOVE but it was unrequited as I was poor as dirt! :(

·
On The Road Again!
3,513 Posts
Sam, I always liked the look of the Lambretta scooters better than the Vespas.
But somehow, Vespa survived and Lambretta seems to be gone.
Of the more modern scooters, the Honda PCX-150 catches my eye.
Bigger wheels, four stroke engine, and....it's a Honda!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The PCX150 is what I have, a 2019 model. I love it! Other than putting gas in the only other maintenance is checking tire pressure. With the National Cycle windscreen, I can do 67 mph.

·
On The Road Again!
3,513 Posts
So Vito, I assume it can comfortably cruise at 55 mph?
That would be enough for me.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
So Vito, I assume it can comfortably cruise at 55 mph?
That would be enough for me.
Easy. Obviously on a steep grade you will not be able to maintain 55, but other than that it seems it can do that speed all day long. I've not seen any problem with riding for awhile at 60 to 65 mph so I'm sure 55 would be not an issue. Mine does not have ABS. I would have bought the ABS model had one been available in my area, but the non-ABS model brakes well and has given me no scares at all.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Vespa is a terrible brand? I must have got lucky. I picked up a '77 Vespa/Paggio Moped for free years ago. It was half buried in the dirt. I dug it out, brought it home and rebuilt the engine. That was over ten years ago, and I'm still riding it. Then I got a 76 Vespa Rally 200. Again, for nothing. I did a clean up job in a farmers field. Everything is done except for the engine. Once done, I expect many years of trouble free riding. Vespas, like most scooters, are simple to work on and quite reliable. Plus the older ones LOOK like a scooter.

As for the reason why a person should own one? In my case, I live in a small town. When my bills come due, I can ride my Moped around town and pay them directly, then go to the Post Office to mail the rest. With my milk crate on the back, it's easy to get last minute items for the wife at the grocery store. Of course my favorite ride is to the Liquor Store for my Vodka/Scotch/Bourbon/Gin, or whatever I'm in the mood for.

As for speed, well they will never keep up with the modern scooters without some modifications. But who cares. The Moped does the job I want it to.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts