Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had bikes with hard bags that lock, and bikes with textile or leather bags that have no locks. Although I have sometimes worried about it, I have never had an actually theft from my bike. When I park my bike I do remove the Garmin GPS and the I-Pass and take them with me, but everything else remains on the bike (good quality rain suits, miscellaneous items like bungee cords, a flat tire kit, first aid kit, etc., all in leather non-locking saddle bags. I often see riders leave an unsecured helmet on their bike, and I'll admit that I have done the same occasionally, and have never lost a helmet or even heard of someone's helmet being stolen. Any one ever suffer an actual loss of things from your parked bike?

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I have never had anything stolen or damaged, but a friend of mine had his half helmet hanging on his handlebar filled with soda pop one time.

C

·
0 Posts
I often see riders leave an unsecured helmet on their bike, and I'll admit that I have done the same occasionally, and have never lost a helmet or even heard of someone's helmet being stolen. Any one ever suffer an actual loss of things from your parked bike?
Funny you mention never hearing about a helmet being stolen because that is the only thing I ever had stolen. Happened once and has not happened since.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Yup.... Just a few days ago, Christmas Eve, 5pm... Had my shop opened a bit late waiting for a chick to come pickup her 2010 Kawi ZX6R. It was just inside my overhead and my back was turned for like 20 seconds, and some ice-head crack addict grabbed it and ran it down the street. Caught the whole thing on video. Yeah... the keys were in it (I already know what a screw-up THAT was). I felt sick to my stomach calling 911. I feel the same way about motorcycle thieves as I do about child molesters.... KILL THEM!!!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Never had anything stolen. We've always left our helmets and jackets on the bikes. If we stop at a motel for the night we take them in so that if it rains during the night they won't get wet. Heck we've parked and been away from the bikes for several hours and forgotten to even lock the trunk and saddle bags.

A couple of years ago another Forum member told me that when we get to their neck of the woods we shouldn't leave anything on the bike that could be taken even if we are just going into a restaurant to eat. Since then if we are in a big town/city we normally put the jackets in the trunk and sometimes will carry our helmets in.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
No, I haven't myself. I usually leave my bags unlocked and helmets sitting in the seat, but I've never had a problem (yet?).

That really stinks, OEJ. Did they find him?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,528 Posts
Funny years ago in Charleston, I rode my bike down to the pier (all bikes could park right at the pier bulkhead). After parking I grabbed my helmet and gear since we were going to be out for a week. When we got back I spent hours looking for my keys. I tore my bunk, locker, office apart looking for them.

Walked out to the pier head to the phonebox (I was parked right next to it) As I started to dial I happened to glance at the bike. Yeap you are correct, my keys where right there in the ignition in plain site. 4 to 6 ships at that pier, everyone used that phonebox.

Back to the original question, I have never had any thing taken.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I had a pair of gloves stolen off my bike a few years ago. They were brand new and had a print of skeleton hand bones on them. I left them on the seat when I parked in front of a cell phone shop in a housing project to have a cup of coffee across the street, so I was pissed but not surprised.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
I had a pair of gloves stolen off my bike a few years ago. They were brand new and had a print of skeleton hand bones on them. I left them on the seat when I parked in front of a cell phone shop in a housing project to have a cup of coffee across the street, so I was pissed but not surprised.
I really like those skeleton gloves which I stole off some fool who left them on his bike. Oh ****! Was that really your bike Eye? :biggrin:

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Had a friend who had a young son at the time who got their dirt bike stolen from some thief. Few hours later the thief was spotted and not only was the bike returned back undamaged but a rental fee was handed over for using the kids bike for a few hours. :biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
18,653 Posts
Had some really stupid stuff stolen not too long ago. A cigaret lighter and gremlin bell. Found out by that what some forum members are like. Thanks again John. Now ya'll can figure out who that is.:D

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
No, I haven't myself. I usually leave my bags unlocked and helmets sitting in the seat, but I've never had a problem (yet?).

That really stinks, OEJ. Did they find him?
Actually CmonStart, the girls recovered the bike this morning. Their friends on social media sites were instrumental in finding it. HPD was useless. Haven't got details from them yet, as they will be coming by Monday morning. I will get details, and hopefully names so that PROPER justice is handed out! Thanks for asking!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Lost a Tom Tom out of one of the glove boxes on my Electra Glide Ultra a few years ago. We were on the road and all of the stuff in the trunk and bags was still there but that GPS , even hidden in the fairing glove box, proved too big a temptation.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Lost a Tom Tom out of one of the glove boxes on my Electra Glide Ultra a few years ago. We were on the road and all of the stuff in the trunk and bags was still there but that GPS , even hidden in the fairing glove box, proved too big a temptation.
They might have seen it get put away.

It's a big risk to steal something from a motorcycle, at least if there are people around. They don't provide the cover that an unlocked car would, and their owners are probably more likely to protest in painful ways.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
No, but I had a YZ250f race bike and a pit bike ripped off from a track once.
I hate thieves.:(

·
Charlie Tango Xray
760 Posts
I've never had anything stolen off the bike. But I rarely leave anything worth taking on it. I have however, caught a few thieves attempting to steal my helmets and gloves from inside a few pit stops. It pays to keep an eye on your stuff. It also helps if you put your name across the front in reflective lettering. ;)

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
In Montreal you can't leave anything on the bike like gloves or a helmet, they'll vanish in minutes. Due to this being a port city, it's actually one of the highest auto theft cities in Canada, especially for SUVs and trucks. I've had two vehicles stolen (a Mustang in the late 90s for a joyride and a Nissan XTerra in 2005 that was never found) and there's some kids in my neighborhood that go around pulling on car doors at night checking to see if they find one unlocked. I don't keep very much in my truck worth stealing, but on one of the rare occasions where I forgot to lock the doors, I found the contents of my glove box thrown all over the floor and my USB cable and GPS gone when I got in to leave for work.

In all honesty, I've seriously contemplated hiding razor blades overnight under the door handles, but decided against it as they would likely just come back and run keys down the body panels or break the windows or something.

Dan

1 - 20 of 39 Posts