Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a few members from various parts of Europe. I'm just curious, what are the minimum safety gear requirements where you are? It varies here in the US, but where I'm from there aren't any if you're over 18. You can ride in sandals and shorts legally.

This isn't a question of ATGATT, just what's your legal minimum there?

Just curious..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here in the UK the only legal requirement is an approved helmet which must have the chin strap fastened. There are no rules regarding what you must wear although generally speaking most riders (apart from scooter riders) tend towards protective gear. If you do ride with vest and shorts you are likely to get a lecture from the law or other bikers.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Really, there's people in the UK that think they know whats best for everybody all the time......I thought that was only here.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There is no law in Europe regarding motorcycle safety, or motorcycle whatever. Every individual country has it's own laws. I hope Europe will not get laws for motorcycles, because that will mean that they will be conforming to the most restrictive of existing laws in each of the countries.

In the Netherlands you need to wear a helmet with govt approval (a little mark inside). No laws for other gear, although I know that police may stop you if you ride in shorts and t-shirt, and they'll tell you that's not safe.

In France, your helmet needs to have a reflective patch in the back. That also goes for foreigners riding in France. Which means I break the law when I ride in France, because I don't want a reflective patch on my helmet.

There's discussions in the EU about requiring bikers to wear fluorescent bibs. There's discussions about requiring annual checkups of your bike. So far, bikers in EU parliament have prevented that from happening, but I'm sure that in a couple of years we'll have to wear bibs and we'll have to have our bikes checked every year. The latter is nonsense: research shows that only 0.3% of motorcycle accidents are related to techical defects. Btw, the checkup law is a lobby by German Industry and German green politicians.

This page has more info:
http://www.bike-stay.net/europe/advice.html

EU politician:
http://www.elmarswereld.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/wim7.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts