·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eureka
[ yoo-ree-kuh, yuh- ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR eureka ON THESAURUS.COM
interjection
(initial capital letter) I have found (it): the reputed exclamation of Archimedes when, after long study, he discovered a method of detecting the amount of alloy mixed with the gold in the crown of the king of Syracuse.
(used as an exclamation of triumph at a discovery.)

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Don't hold your breath, Porky.
I've given up getting all excited about the latest reported inventions.
I've been disappointed too many times when they just disappear.

Reactions: Porky

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I don't know about it. That third terminal thing sounds like another fire source just waiting to happen. Would like to see the real deal.

Reactions: Porky

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If this new tech is real and not problematic then it could take a lot of the fears out of owning an electric vehicle (motorcycle) away and the industry would really go wild:)

Increased sales amortize the massive development costs and will lower retail prices!

Imagine riding to your normal destination, plugging in while you have a cup of coffee or a delicious breakfast and by the time you get on the bike, you have a 'full tank!'

Exciting things are happening now for sure.

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
You are so right. The trend is already going toward electric either by choice or mandate. Quick recharge will put touring on the map for electric motorcycles. That’s been the number one complaint.

Reactions: mike721

·
Registered
775 Posts
For quick recharge to become real, some new infrastructure will need to be installed. A coffee shop isn't going to have 400 volt DC, at 100 Amps power available, which is about what you would need to get 5 KWH into your batteries in 10 minutes. What your average small business can offer, if they have sufficient excess capacity, and invest in the rectifiers and control circuitry, would be more along the lines of 200 VDC at 30 amps, which means only around 800 watt - hours in ten minutes, enough to get you 15-25 miles down the road.

Availability of fast charging stations is likely to remain a lmiting factor to growth, for the near future. Bike makers should be adopting the same spec. used by the most dominant E-car makers.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
It took some time before there was a gas station in every town and nearly on every corner in larger towns. They'll get the recharging stations going when the demand increases. And it will increase. (y) (y) (y)

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
We are right on the cusp of electric vehicles going mainstream, it's close,with current batteries and motors the power and range is there finally, now the last piece of the puzzle is fast charging, one of these new ideas will work and all of the pieces will be in place. The charging stations will pop up like mushrooms, it's way easier to build them than a gas station's infrastructure.
It's about time.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Any battery of sufficient capacity to run a vehicle will always present some fire danger, if it's allowed to release a large amount of energy quickly.
Just like any fuel tank of sufficient capacity to run a vehicle will always present some fire danger, if the contents are allowed to release their energy quickly too.

Both risks are very real, and very able to be fairly well controlled under normal conditions, but both present dangers in an accident. We are very used to the risks of flammable fuels and we understand how to work around them safely for the most part, but despite using it for a lifetime people get hurt and killed by gasoline every year anyway, its a very dangerous substance and can easily burn or explode violently if given the chance. Large capacity batteries are similar, if you treat them properly they are safe to handle, if you do the wrong thing they can easily kill you, we just need to learn the rules of how to work around them and treat them with the proper respect and they will become the norm.

50 year from now most people probably will not be comfortable to go near a full 5 gallon gas can, and if they did they might blow themselves up by mistake!

I don't know about it. That third terminal thing sounds like another fire source just waiting to happen. Would like to see the real deal.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Tesla recently bought a battery tech company. Cool stuff will appear. The amount of new tech is staggering. It is not like the world is doing nothing as many would say. A smart mechanic and electric engineer, could build an E bike.
Need an old double loop frame, batteries and capacitors, motor, plus the wheels and brakes from the old bike.
Or, get the specs for an earlier F1 car. The how to, must be available somewhere. A kid in Nanaimo ( big city near me ) did it.
Used to be gas stations were not open on weekends, stores too. We survived. But we did have a drive thru grog shop.

UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now for some bad news:

All of these charging stations will be gouging EV owners for 'topping off or filling' up their EV's.

Right now the tax and spend party is trying to put a big tax on electric vehicles because they use the highway's and infrastructure just like petrol powered vehicles. It is called a 'Road use tax,' and not surprisingly, owners of 'gas powered' vehicles are in favor of the taxing, so everyone can share the burden.

There is no free lunch Kiddies.

Sam:)

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
Nothing wrong with that in principle as long as it's an equitable amount, the roads have to get paid for, it's either a 'fuel' tax, a mileage based registration tax, or toll roads.

So now for some bad news:

All of these charging stations will be gouging EV owners for 'topping off or filling' up their EV's.

Right now the tax and spend party is trying to put a big tax on electric vehicles because they use the highway's and infrastructure just like petrol powered vehicles. It is called a 'Road use tax,' and not surprisingly, owners of 'gas powered' vehicles are in favor of the taxing, so everyone can share the burden.

There is no free lunch Kiddies.

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I'd like to hear what the truckers here think about usage tax of roads as I personally think even though they currently pay much higher taxes, I don't think it's enough. Take a road that only lets cars on it and it lasts almost forever. Yet let 18 wheelers start using and that road turns to **** almost overnight. So why do they feel they are over taxed?

Although they supply goods for thousands, somehow that tax doesn't seem to match the actual damage and roads now never seem to be worth a darn. So now EV's are coming on board and I doubt their damage to roads, therefore need for road tax, will be even half that of current vehicles other than 18 wheelers.

So just where is the burden for road use tax supposed to be? And why. Raise it for 18 wheelers and we still pay for it in the end. So why not put the higher use tax on them to start with? So what you say truckers. And unfortunately it really looks like we all need to be paying more when it comes down to it. Sorry. I know no one wants to hear that.

·
Visionary
5,302 Posts
I agree, the trucks do the most damage and need to pay for it, but getting back on topic a bit motorcycles do the least damage by far, but many of the toll roads around here do NOT discount for them at all!
Riding our 500 pound machines we pay the same rate as an 7000 pound SUV on most of them and that is not fair, at least a fuel based tax sort of compensates for that. I normally pay one toll a day, $1.00 to cross into PA from NJ, and there is a less convenient free option too so I don't mind much paying a dollar to save a few minutes, but couldn't they give a bike a discount ? How much wear and tear do I really put on that bridge riding 2 wheels over it?

An example of where this gets expensive though.. about 2 months ago I did a long ride that included about 300 miles of the Pennsylvania turnpike, it's a beautiful road, well maintained, convenient fuel stops, it was a good choice, but oh did I pay for the use of it! When I got the EZ pass statement, I was surprised to see that the toll was $30.70! It seemed high and I was curious so I checked to make sure that's right... I have a proper Motorcycle transponder but there is no discount for it. At least I was paying by EZ pass, they do discount for that, if I had used cash it would have been $43.00! I just noted that the tolls on that road are going up come January too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.