Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went out for a ride around my "100 mile loop" which, for me, is a long ride. About 20 miles of it is on a twisty valley road. It is divided but only has two short passing sections that are towards the end of the valley. Since most of the corners are blind and I don't know the road extremely well, I tend to ride it at a "spirited" speed, i.e. keeps me interested but leaves a lot of room for the unexpected.

Within 2 miles of starting on this section, I fell in behind a fellow enjoying his cigar and the sights while on his cruiser. Given his pace vs. mine, I hung back and figured he'd pull to the side at some point to let me by. Mile after mile, we "enjoyed" his cigar, leisurely taking in the sights, and passing turn-offs or cutouts that he could have utilized to quickly let me pass. I got increasingly frustrated but understood that he was not under any special obligation to move over and let me through, so I waited until we reached an official passing zone before doing so.

There were several areas where I felt I could have passed without danger, i.e. the road was clear and I could see far enough to know I had room to pass, but it was a double yellow line.

My question is: Would that be considered a serious jerk move on my part if I had done so?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
I don't think so, if anything he was being a jerk. Unless you were hanging back far enough that it wasn't evident you wanted to pass, he should have at least moved over to the right of the lane and let you by.

I ride often in an area like you describe, and the bikes I encounter typically move over or waive you by. However, I often encounter cars that will meander at a sleepy pace and never move over, regardless of how many vehicles are lined up behind them. I've seen police cars behind those types, and magically they ALL know exactly how to use a turn-out when there is a cop.

The lesson here, IMO, is that the vehicle you're following, not moving over, is well aware of you, but going out of their way to not give a ****. So, if that occurs, go around them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,119 Posts
I would have passed him in a heartbeat! Just smelling Cigar smoke is enough to make me PUKE as is the smell of Cigarette smoke:surprise: I have never smoked in my life:angel:

I really hate being stuck in traffic when riding and the motorist in front of me has his left arm out of the window flicking his ashes everywhere, like the world is his ashtray!:surprise: And of course, this type of person will automatically flip his 'BUTT' out of the window and onto the street:sad:

A few days ago, I was stopped at a light and a putz in the other lane emptied his almost full, 20 oz, latte-choco-fruit loop, girly man, 6 dollar cup of sugar and whipped cream coffee, right on the road:surprise: If I had been next to him, I'd of hollered at him:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,499 Posts
I blew around a couple enjoying their cigarettes and ashing us from their car doing 50 in a 55 and they followed at high speed the next 12 miles. I was wondering if I was going to be challenged at the stoplight where we has to stop. We did pass in a double yellow and we were on the Blackbird and with just a flick of the wrist was around them. I avoid that at all cost but I to hate people ashing out their windows or smoking on their bikes without regard to whom is behind them.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I agree with those that said it was fine to pass him. Maybe a passing where it is a no passing zone will wake him up from his reverie and make him realize he was holding you up. My normal 100 mile ride is mostly on a two lane that follows the Rock River from Rockford, through some smaller towns and I turn around near Dixon, IL and head back, partially on the opposite side of the river. Although there are a few passing areas with an extra lane added, most of the ride is just plain two lane with often a solid double yellow between them. Lots and lots of motorcycles ride this road, especially on the weekends, and for whatever reason, most of the cruisers ride very moderately at or below the posted 55 mph speed. The young guys on their sport bikes (not too many of them seem to ride this road) are no problem, but the groups of cruisers riding close together and at a slow speed just don't present many opportunities to pass. My Goldwing has a lot of passing capability when I drop a gear or two especially, but passing areas are few and when the group you have to pass is spread out over several hundred yards it is a real challenge. Sometimes my mood is such that I am the one riding at a modest speed, but then I move over or pull over if any traffic is behind me and obviously wanting to go faster.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I have several bikes, but my go to bike for riding into town, work, etc, is forty years old and only 200ccs. (Love that little bike.) So I'm well aware when someone is breathing down my backside. I'll pull over and let them by. So I have no problem safely shooting past one or two bikes that wont move over while I'm on one of the larger bikes. As for getting stuck behind a long slow parade of sightseeing cruisers, I'll change my route or stop and let them get ahead rather than pick each one off one by one.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! Thanks for all the feedback and I'll keep it in mind if (or when) the situation comes up again!

Reactions: FlipFlop and Porky

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I'm often the one riding at my own pace (slow) down the highway. I'm retired so I may be riding any day of the week. When traffic comes up behind me, I try to remember some of these people are at work and I don't need to be slowing them down.

When it's clear, I'll move over to the side of the road and let them all by. Some times people in cars don't get it, but every motorcyclist knows what I'm doing.

·
On The Road Again!
4,184 Posts
I would have passed him in a heartbeat! Just smelling Cigar smoke is enough to make me PUKE as is the smell of Cigarette smoke:surprise: I have never smoked in my life
Sam:nerd:
I would have gone around that guy in a flash myself just to get away from the ef'n stink.
Like you, I've never smoked. I find it disgusting and sickening.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I smoked for a long time, (Yeah I know, here's my sign, STUPID). Something about smoking messes up a fella's sense of smell. I can't stand to smell cigarette smoke anymore. Now there are some pipe tobacco's that I find have a pleasant aroma. But I'm not going to start smoking a pipe.

As for passing a slow biker? Go for it!

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
I'd go around and I do go around people like that all the time. Just like my balancing at a stop sign and not putting my feet down, one of these days ole Barney Fife is going to see me and give me yet another ticket. Yet he won't write a ticket for that same jerk not using his turn signals. Sorta ticks me off.:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's weird, where I ride slow bikes almost never move out of the way, but cars do it all the time. I'm actually shocked how considerate the famously rude New England drivers become when I take the bike out.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,486 Posts
That is my part of the road and I don't have to share it. You are being rude, inpatient and a horses butt forcing your way past me.

It is okay when you do it to someone else :)

PS - for those of you that don't realize it, that is said tongue-in-cheek

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,453 Posts
I smoked for a long time, (Yeah I know, here's my sign, STUPID). Something about smoking messes up a fella's sense of smell. I can't stand to smell cigarette smoke anymore. Now there are some pipe tobacco's that I find have a pleasant aroma. But I'm not going to start smoking a pipe.

As for passing a slow biker? Go for it!
I smoked until I was 30, I'm 51 now. I cannot stand cigarette smoke. If I'm in traffic and there someone anywhere near me that is smoking, it just about chokes me. It's common for ex-smokers to become extra sensitive to the smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Had not heard that about ex smokers being extra sensitive, but I have heard that ex smokers are more ,...ah, I'll use the word critical, about current smokers. I try not to do that, it makes me feel like a hypocrite.

I do think that cigarette smoke smelled differently back in the 70's when I started, because if it smelled then, like it does now, I would have never started. :)

The doctor said I had to quit smoking after I had my heart attack, so I did. I just don't know why I had to stop eating everything that I liked? (I was better at quitting smoking than giving up cheeseburgers.)

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Smelling tobacco smoke brings back that desire to light up again. And I stopped over 30 years ago.
I was so glad when our Legion Post had to comply with the no smoking laws. Now the Post just
stinks of old smoke which does not bring that desire to light up back again.

Saw this on another site and had to post it here as well.:devil:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I grew up with a mom who smoked 1-2 packs a day and I smoked a few years in college. Cannot stand the smell indoors but, weirdly, I kind of like it if I catch a whiff outside. Cigars? Not so much...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Passing - I've come to realize that I've been very anal all my life about following the rules of the road. That has changed. If you're the blocking rider, move to the right, point down to the left side of your lane and let the trailing rider go around (common move on the Tail of the Dragon). If you're being blocked and get the same courtesy, great. If not, find the best spot where you think you can safely get around, drop a gear or two and roll that throttle.

Smoking - I quit cigarettes in Jan '87 as a 3-pack-a-day smoker. I do smoke cigars on occasion, but never around other folks who might be bothered by it...and definitely not while riding or driving.

Jerks in traffic - everyone has their favorite story about jerk drivers or riders and the dumb things they do. My hard and fast rule: just get away from them or get out of their way. There is no winning solution to dealing with those people and it only puts you at risk. The competitive spirit comes out and you want to beat them at whatever game is being played, but it just ain't worth it. And you will never run out of those people until the day when all traffic is fully automated and motorcycling is just a fond memory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts