Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Visionary
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else here was declared an essential worker, given a personalized letter to get through the roadblocks and pull overs, and still heading out to work every day?

"The above-named individual is a DHS-CISA TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker and must be allowed priority access and right-of-passage..."

I wasn't too enthusiastic about going out into the thick of it every day, until I realized that this lets me basically ride all that I want during the lockdown and shelter in place. I have 5 days a week commuting, and I can always be headed to work at any time to check on a problem, right?

It might be Doomsday but at least I had a really nice ride to work! :)

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
Are the roads nearly empty then Mike? If so then you are having some very nice rides you lucky dog.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My work says we are essential but we don’t have a bit of paperwork to prove it. The way the owners are I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to stay open in a lockdown regardless of what the government tells them

·
Visionary
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are the roads nearly empty then Mike? If so then you are having some very nice rides you lucky dog.
There were very few cars on the road, but there was a constant line of trucks, many more than normal, I passed hundreds of them. I guess they are still hauling all the toilet paper into NYC.
The good news is that since i78 is 3 lane highway trucks are banned from the left lane, so I basically owned that lane for the whole ride.

·
Visionary
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My work says we are essential but we don’t have a bit of paperwork to prove it. The way the owners are I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to stay open in a lockdown regardless of what the government tells them
What business are you in? There are lists put out by each state with some surprising classifications of essential. I'm in Air Transportation which is declared critical, even though no one is flying...

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've been working from home a couple of days per week for the past few years, so this is kinda like business as usual except that now I'm working from home 5 days a week. And for the most part I work alone on projects with only a few scheduled meetings per week. So I can shift my work hours to just about whenever I want. This frees up some prime riding time in the afternoons :)

Believe me, I'm counting my blessings! OTOH my wife works at a small grocery store (they actually call it a country market), which makes her an essential worker. Because it's such a small store there's normally only one person working it. This and the small size makes it relatively easy to keep it clean. We're hoping and praying the COVID-19 doesn't affect us.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
What business are you in? There are lists put out by each state with some surprising classifications of essential. I'm in Air Transportation which is declared critical, even though no one is flying...

Mike, you say "no one is flying" Do you mean no passengers or no planes actually flying?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
I am an unemployed bum, and completely non essential. If a client calls, I tell them I did not renew my licences, and can no longer give advice. However if someone croaks and it is a beneficiary, I advice them on what to do.
Other wise I am a carpenter owner builder, a bike mechanic. ?? gotta be something else I do. Oh yeah, Vice Commodore of our Yacht Club, but do not do much as all events have been postponed. A soon to be new member of the Emergency communication system, but all meetings have been postponed. A member of the local area bike gang. Mostly guys over 60 that meet on Sunday mornings, except we do not meet at the moment. I play darts and drink beer on Friday nights at the golf club, except the golf club is closed until further notice.
I am trying to get a geotech to look at the footings, and then a concrete outfit to deliver some concrete along with a pumper truck.
UK

·
Registered
48 Posts
My office has been declared essential, but I'm not sure why. We are open, but no one is allowed to come in and our service has been put on hold for 60 days. We basically come in and surf the web all day. They gave us an "essential personnel" ID but I've never had to show it. Roads are open but traffic is light.

·
Visionary
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike, you say "no one is flying" Do you mean no passengers or no planes actually flying?
We cancelled some flights but we are flying plenty of planes still, with tons of cargo and not a whole lot of passengers on most of them, not empty but very light loads.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Our governor, in his infinite wisdom, declared all VA schools closed... for the remainder of the year! So, my "summer break" started two weeks ago, although I'm technically "on call"...

While the break has been nice, as it has allowed me to get started on my summer project list, I really don't understand why we couldn't play it by ear each week, and make a decision based on updated vaccine info, recovery/infection rates, etc...

·
Registered
358 Posts
We're staying open, but I've gotten permission to work from home, so I'll be packing out a spare workstation and clearing some space in my rats nest of a computer room for some homeworking.

Since our states governor declared a Stay at Home order, it's a bit amazing to me that so many employers here are countermanding that order and declaring themselves exempt. Wouldn't those organizations be taking onto themselves the liability for any employees sickness and potential death, since they had gone against the advice of the medical experts and the government order?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m a machinist though the company is known as a gearbox manufacturer. I haven’t found Missouri's list

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
I very much like Krusty am unemployed, but we call it retirement. I no longer do work on my house or yard (I have people for that) At the moment nothing is getting done as no one can come and do it. The only place I am essential is in the kitchen as I am the head cook :)

·
On The Road Again!
2,858 Posts
I was just out for a 45 mile ride around the area and I can tell you that LOTS of people are out.
The parking area at the local county park was full. LOTS of people out walking/hiking.
Saw close to two dozen motorcycles in my short ride. The local ice cream shop was quite busy too. Everyone has cabin fever I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts