Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do you store your equipment after the ride? I would assume the closet would be the first answer for the most of you. However, I prefer a different set up. I'm wondering if anyone else likes their bike and equipment stored/set up in a certain place or fashion?

Here is how I story my Bike, leathers, and helmet... Finding a spot in my small room for the gear, and covering my bike outside every night. Getting mighty sick of it LoL.

Here's what I want: The Perfect Man Garage !!!!!!!
#1: I want a spot in the Garage where I can put my bike.
#2: I want a complete workstation with a rack next to where my bike so I can have all my bike related tools near by.
#3: There needs to be an outlet near by so i can have the battery charging.
#4: A bike lift would be AWESOME
#5: A PC/Lap top set up would be great :coffeescreen:
#6: Mini Fridge for beers :D
#7: A Sofa
#8: Maybe a book shelf next the to sofa, i like buying motorcycle related books and dvd's, for those cold nights in :smiley_mornincoffee
#9 I want a Mannequin, yes a Mannequin..., for my leathers and helmet. It'll be nice to have my 2 piece set to stand by, guarding my bike (Like the scene from the movie "The Last Samurai" where the suit of armor is stored in a specialty closet, standing upright, like it's an entity of its own). But unfortunately, there are no specialty mannequin's that would fit my need. Maybe I could build my own coat hanger / mannequin.

----That's all i can think of right now (unless someone wants to add something)----

How do you store your equipment after the ride? I would like to hear !!!!

:71baldboy:

·
What?
865 Posts
Jacket and helmet go on the unused couch we have. The pointless one that because of our small living room, no matter where it goes you can't see the TV while sitting on it. Boots or shoes go where ever they get taken off at, usually kicked in my bedroom sometimes next to the front door.

My helmet used to be put in the shelf in the closet, but that spot got taken over by the 2 or 3 half taken apart computers I have.

·
American Legion Rider
22,870 Posts
What? No TV to review your days ride from your GoPro.:biggrin:

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jacket and helmet go on the unused couch we have. The pointless one that because of our small living room, no matter where it goes you can't see the TV while sitting on it. Boots or shoes go where ever they get taken off at, usually kicked in my bedroom sometimes next to the front door.

My helmet used to be put in the shelf in the closet, but that spot got taken over by the 2 or 3 half taken apart computers I have.
I feel you

What? No TV to review your days ride from your GoPro.:biggrin:
How could i forget o_O TV and Go Pro Station is #10

·
Banned
121 Posts
I toss my overpants on the table along with my helmet & gloves. The jacket gets put on a chair & the boots get kicked under the same table-Makes it real easy to find:71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a small table in the corner where my helmets and gloves sit. I hang my jacket in my back bedroom closet. I have a covered parking area so I rarely break out the bike cover.
I have no desire to do a "Man Cave" type thing for either my house or my garage.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Coat on rack by door, boots under the rack. Helmet stays with the bike. Sometimes depending on what I do immediately after getting home it might all lay across the bike for a while.
All gear hangs in the closet during the winter.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ongoing point of contention between Mrs. Chet and myself.

I used to throw my gear on the deacon bench by the door but Mrs. Chet disapproved.

Now I hang my stuff in the closet in my exercise gear room. It actually is better since what I wear depends on the temperature and anything I need is in one spot.

Prefer to keep gloves and helmet in there too since the garage can get cold in the fall and spring.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've been working on getting my shop set up for the last few years, always seems to be more to do... I built cabinets to hold helmets, gloves etc and have hooks for hanging jackets from. Just installed a sink last week, which may be the best upgrade yet, at least as far as my wife is concerned...

·
3...2...1... V Boost
400 Posts
This is what you need to put your gear on when you aren't using it...
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/MD-ACK2-Realistic-Female-Flesh-Mannequin/dp/B004BANBYM/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1357793441&sr=8-44&keywords=mannequin[/ame]

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
How do you store your equipment after the ride? I would assume the closet would be the first answer for the most of you. However, I prefer a different set up. I'm wondering if anyone else likes their bike and equipment stored/set up in a certain place or fashion?

Here is how I story my Bike, leathers, and helmet... Finding a spot in my small room for the gear, and covering my bike outside every night. Getting mighty sick of it LoL.

Here's what I want: The Perfect Man Garage !!!!!!!
#1: I want a spot in the Garage where I can put my bike.
#2: I want a complete workstation with a rack next to where my bike so I can have all my bike related tools near by.
#3: There needs to be an outlet near by so i can have the battery charging.
#4: A bike lift would be AWESOME
#5: A PC/Lap top set up would be great :coffeescreen:
#6: Mini Fridge for beers :D
#7: A Sofa
#8: Maybe a book shelf next the to sofa, i like buying motorcycle related books and dvd's, for those cold nights in :smiley_mornincoffee
#9 I want a Mannequin, yes a Mannequin..., for my leathers and helmet. It'll be nice to have my 2 piece set to stand by, guarding my bike (Like the scene from the movie "The Last Samurai" where the suit of armor is stored in a specialty closet, standing upright, like it's an entity of its own). But unfortunately, there are no specialty mannequin's that would fit my need. Maybe I could build my own coat hanger / mannequin.

----That's all i can think of right now (unless someone wants to add something)----

How do you store your equipment after the ride? I would like to hear !!!!

:71baldboy:

.....I got most of that covered.....

1 - I have 6 bikes and a 4 car garage......with NO cars in it (although there are a few ATVS, dirt bikes, 2 rolling chests full of tools etc.). Each bike has its own "spot". Each of my bikes has a Flash2Pass garage door opener on it......flash the headlights twice, door opens.....pull into spot. Downside.....you have to back "peddle" the bike out of its spot.

2 - most of my garage is devoted to bikes/ATVs.....so Ive got two full sized rolling boxes full of tools....as well as jacks, stands....chain hoists etc. They arent near the bikes though.....in fact on the other side of the garage. Bikes parked on one side........bikes worked on the other side. Keep the ones "needing work" from the ones that are "ready to be ridden".

3 - each spot for the bike has an outlet.........each bike has a battery tender and gets plugged in about November......and stays plugged in until its ridden the first time of the riding season. Most years I still get quite a bit of ride time on past November.....but I still leave em plugged in even if Im riding em every week......cause you never know when a foot of snow is going to do your riding season in. I have a similar setup for the ATVs.

4 - no bike lift. If I had more room.....I might. But so far every time Ive needed to remove a wheel or do something that required a lift......Ive gotten by with a chain hoist suspended from the ceiling. It would be nice to be able to change oil without laying on the ground though.

5 - absolutely essential. Its probably one of the most used tools in my garage. I have a basic Windows 7 box setup.......all my PDF maintenance manuals are right there. I also run a program to track and log ALL maintenance done. Need a part or have a question....bamm.....Im on the net doing research.

6 - yep......got a mini fridge. My buddy was gonna toss it.....I rescued it - very handy.

7 - no couch but I have something better. The rear seat out of a newer Dodge mini-van. Its got wheels on it so it can be rolled out of the way.....or over by what Im working on if'n I want to drink a beer and study something.

8 - no book case......I dont spend much time out there unless Im wrenching.....especially this time of year. I have heat.....but its in the way of a diesel heater......so you gotta go out and fire it up. It can heat the garage from 20 degrees to tshirt temperature in about 45 mins......but its gets kinda spendy so I only work in the off season when I *have* to.....or if its warm enough I dont need heat. Lately its been high 30s.....to low 50s. I can work comfortably in a flannel shirt in the 30s in the garage....getting out of the wind makes all the difference.

9 - I dont have the floor space for a mannequin....but thats a cool idea. Instead what I have is a rubber coated (so it dont tear something) set of hooks on the wall for my leather jackets and stuff. Right next to that is a shelf that I keep gloves, heated gear, rain gear etc. Next over is a set of hooks I made to hang helmets from. Me and my GF ride.....and so do my kids.....so there about 10 helmets hanging there most times.

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I toss my overpants on the table along with my helmet & gloves. The jacket gets put on a chair & the boots get kicked under the same table-Makes it real easy to find:71baldboy:
That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment, I'm living with my brothers at the moment, so I'm in a room that less than 10x10 with an over sized bed. The twisty/rollly twisty chair is my best stoarge option for the leather, helmet is on the PC table.

Wait! Desert Rat needs to post a few pics of his setup in here!
I would love to see them.

Don't forget to wash your helmet liner every once in a while...
I sometimes wipe the exterior with an alcohol wipe (the wipes for reading glasses) how do you exactly clean a helmet? I've only been riding for about 2 years.

I've been working on getting my shop set up for the last few years, always seems to be more to do... I built cabinets to hold helmets, gloves etc and have hooks for hanging jackets from. Just installed a sink last week, which may be the best upgrade yet, at least as far as my wife is concerned...
you know, i can almost see the sink set up with that rough dry soap that most machine shops have or Gojo soap =P

This is what you need to put your gear on when you aren't using it...
http://www.amazon.com/MD-ACK2-Reali...TF8&qid=1357793441&sr=8-44&keywords=mannequin
Ohhhhhh YEahhhhh my mannequin and suit of armor has a new stalker hotty girlfriend o_O Thank you for the link, She may actually be an addition, you know so my leathers/helmet have a stalker..... Also imagine a thief shining a flashlight in my garage and seeing a figure in leather standing there, with a hot stalker chick creeping in the corner. Brilliant idea !

.....I got most of that covered.....

1 - I have 6 bikes and a 4 car garage......with NO cars in it (although there are a few ATVS, dirt bikes, 2 rolling chests full of tools etc.). Each bike has its own "spot". Each of my bikes has a Flash2Pass garage door opener on it......flash the headlights twice, door opens.....pull into spot. Downside.....you have to back "peddle" the bike out of its spot.

2 - most of my garage is devoted to bikes/ATVs.....so Ive got two full sized rolling boxes full of tools....as well as jacks, stands....chain hoists etc. They arent near the bikes though.....in fact on the other side of the garage. Bikes parked on one side........bikes worked on the other side. Keep the ones "needing work" from the ones that are "ready to be ridden".

3 - each spot for the bike has an outlet.........each bike has a battery tender and gets plugged in about November......and stays plugged in until its ridden the first time of the riding season. Most years I still get quite a bit of ride time on past November.....but I still leave em plugged in even if Im riding em every week......cause you never know when a foot of snow is going to do your riding season in. I have a similar setup for the ATVs.

4 - no bike lift. If I had more room.....I might. But so far every time Ive needed to remove a wheel or do something that required a lift......Ive gotten by with a chain hoist suspended from the ceiling. It would be nice to be able to change oil without laying on the ground though.

5 - absolutely essential. Its probably one of the most used tools in my garage. I have a basic Windows 7 box setup.......all my PDF maintenance manuals are right there. I also run a program to track and log ALL maintenance done. Need a part or have a question....bamm.....Im on the net doing research.

6 - yep......got a mini fridge. My buddy was gonna toss it.....I rescued it - very handy.

7 - no couch but I have something better. The rear seat out of a newer Dodge mini-van. Its got wheels on it so it can be rolled out of the way.....or over by what Im working on if'n I want to drink a beer and study something.

8 - no book case......I dont spend much time out there unless Im wrenching.....especially this time of year. I have heat.....but its in the way of a diesel heater......so you gotta go out and fire it up. It can heat the garage from 20 degrees to tshirt temperature in about 45 mins......but its gets kinda spendy so I only work in the off season when I *have* to.....or if its warm enough I dont need heat. Lately its been high 30s.....to low 50s. I can work comfortably in a flannel shirt in the 30s in the garage....getting out of the wind makes all the difference.

9 - I dont have the floor space for a mannequin....but thats a cool idea. Instead what I have is a rubber coated (so it dont tear something) set of hooks on the wall for my leather jackets and stuff. Right next to that is a shelf that I keep gloves, heated gear, rain gear etc. Next over is a set of hooks I made to hang helmets from. Me and my GF ride.....and so do my kids.....so there about 10 helmets hanging there most times.
This is a very impressive set up, i feel a tad bit intimidated imagining the whole works. Would you have pictures? Good taste man ! I will respond to all 1-9 in a commentary fashion:

1: No Cars haha wow. Flash2Pass, noted!!! never knew of its existence.
2: Were or are you a bike mechanic? Sounds like what a small shop would look like
3: Each one as its own socket!? did you ass outlets to your garage or is it just a lucky coincidence?
4: Ceiling lift, still better than nothing o_O I wish i had one
5: What program do you like to use to Track Maintenance? It'd be nice if i jsut plug it my miles and it reminds me, I am pretty forgetful.
6: LoL Rescued :)
7: A couch on wheels!
8: Jesus that sounds cold, where do you live? a Diesel heater huh? You don't see those very often in southern part of California. Though we did Demo a house with a diesel heater and the old own let us have all 500 gallons of fuel o_O red dyed, but still free. hahaha
9: Thank you, im really hoping to get the space to do all this. I want a damn mannequin coat hanger lol. Wow 10 Helmets. How long have you and your family been riding?

Seriously an impressive set up 10/10

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
This is a very impressive set up, i feel a tad bit intimidated imagining the whole works. Would you have pictures? Good taste man ! I will respond to all 1-9 in a commentary fashion:

1: No Cars haha wow. Flash2Pass, noted!!! never knew of its existence.
2: Were or are you a bike mechanic? Sounds like what a small shop would look like
3: Each one as its own socket!? did you ass outlets to your garage or is it just a lucky coincidence?
4: Ceiling lift, still better than nothing o_O I wish i had one
5: What program do you like to use to Track Maintenance? It'd be nice if i jsut plug it my miles and it reminds me, I am pretty forgetful.
8: Jesus that sounds cold, where do you live? a Diesel heater huh? You don't see those very often in southern part of California. Though we did Demo a house with a diesel heater and the old own let us have all 500 gallons of fuel o_O red dyed, but still free. hahaha
9: How long have you and your family been riding?

Seriously an impressive set up 10/10
1 - I have cars.....they just sit outside. Ive got a 2011 Ford Explorer. I have no problems leaving a 25K car outside.....but parking a $1500 motorcycle inside. Some say Im wired wrong....ha ha

2 - no mechanic....far from it. I can do alot of stuff...and honestly could likely do far more but I lack confidence some times. I got a damn good mechanic that works VERY reasonably on speed dial and use him as a crutch. Its pretty easy if you do any wrenching to end up with a couple boxes of tools. They arent high dollar boxes or tools.....mostly Craftsman, some Harbor Freight stuff. The boxes themselves are Menards housebrand....MasterForce.

3 - no theres one or two outlets. Come winter I pull out my "tender setup". I have plastic WalMart tubs. Each one has a power strip mounted on the top. Inside is 3 tenders. I plug the tubs into the outlets and set them on the floor......plug the tender into each bike. If I moved the bikes further apart I could actually just plug them into the wall.....but I move them closer for "storage" mode. I put the snow blade on my ATV and park it in front of them so I need the space.

4 - a chain lift is very handy and fairly cheap. As long as you have a strong place to lift from (tree, rafters etc) your good to go. I think it cost something like $50.....works pretty slick. Make it very handy to pull the forks for service.....change tires......etc.

5 - I use Cars by Clark Tisdale. Its a very simple and basic program. Here is a screen shot.

Its free.

At one point and time I looked into a couple app for my 'driod.....which would work much better for reminders. This one specifically

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wOSwiY29tLmNvb2xveS5PaWxDaGFuZ2VTY2hlZHVsZSJd

....but for now Im using a very robust and powerful device......a dry erase board. Its screwed to the wall in the garage. If'n anything breaks and I cant fix it right away.....I write it down. The kids break something.....they write it down. If somebody borrows a tool - I write it down. A quick look tells me just how much broken **** I have to work on.....:frown:

8 - live in southern Iowa. Its not been bad at all this year and last. Last year most of winter stayed 40 or above. Had quite a few days in the 50 and even high 60s. So far weve seen 50 this week.....but its also been below zero a few times to.

9 - Ive been riding since 2006.....my kids since about 2005. They actually started before me. My son had a ATV....rode it in the yard. Looked like fun so I started......its his fault.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
2 - no mechanic....far from it. I can do alot of stuff...and honestly could likely do far more but I lack confidence some times. I got a damn good mechanic that works VERY reasonably on speed dial and use him as a crutch.
A cheap mechanic is a good thing to have. My best friend is a mechanic at an engine exchange. He does all my work. If its little ( ie. don't have to pull engine or trans) it cost me the parts and a few energy drinks. If we have to pull the engine, I pay him $15 an hour. I buy the parts so I can buy them wherever they're most inexpensive. Works great!

-My setup is my jacket and gloves go on the couch or loveseat or counter or floor or, if I'm feeling REALLY active, I MIGHT hang it up on the coatrack it the laundry room. In the summer, the bike is outside with a cover. In the winter its in the kitchen.

·
Pilot of Gixxer
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
5 - I use Cars by Clark Tisdale. Its a very simple and basic program. Here is a screen shot.

Its free.

At one point and time I looked into a couple app for my 'driod.....which would work much better for reminders. This one specifically

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wOSwiY29tLmNvb2xveS5PaWxDaGFuZ2VTY2hlZHVsZSJd

....but for now Im using a very robust and powerful device......a dry erase board. Its screwed to the wall in the garage. If'n anything breaks and I cant fix it right away.....I write it down. The kids break something.....they write it down. If somebody borrows a tool - I write it down. A quick look tells me just how much broken **** I have to work on.....:frown:
Thank you !! I will defiantly look into that program, app and getting a black or white board!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts