Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Marking the cams is good but try a zip tie on the cam that you aren't moving just to be sure it stays put...

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nooo! Oh, man, that sucks! Maybe this will be of help?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Yeah I kinda daisy chain zip tied the cam chain to the handlebars seems to be working fine. I was going to zip tie the cam to the chain and just move it out of the way, but they are solid cams, I didn't really see anyway to do that so I just removed them. I just finished replacing all the shims. Well it took me a while but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Kinda enjoyed it to be honest. Going to put it all back together tomorrow morning.

As for the broken cam plate bolt, i'm not going to do anything about it, I cant go to the store and buy an extractor anyway everything is closed. 20 bolts hold that thing on if missing 1 bolt screws up my engine well then at least I'll learn a valuable lesson lol.

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
It might tap around with a sharp punch, but it might not. No harm done by drilling it, and using a punch with a flat like a screwdriver. Tap the screwdriver type punch straight in. As the hole gets bigger, it should be easier to turn. Heli coils and easy outs, are your friends with old British. Probably some other ideas will emerge.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
If you use left hand drill bits to drill the hole, you might be surprised. I've done this many times and almost every time the heat from drill releases the hold on the bolt and it just starts coming right on out. It's amazing. You just need a drill that will go in reverse and some left hand drill bits.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah I kinda daisy chain zip tied the cam chain to the handlebars seems to be working fine. I was going to zip tie the cam to the chain and just move it out of the way, but they are solid cams, I didn't really see anyway to do that so I just removed them. I just finished replacing all the shims. Well it took me a while but it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Kinda enjoyed it to be honest. Going to put it all back together tomorrow morning.

As for the broken cam plate bolt, i'm not going to do anything about it, I cant go to the store and buy an extractor anyway everything is closed. 20 bolts hold that thing on if missing 1 bolt screws up my engine well then at least I'll learn a valuable lesson lol.
Yeah, the actual shim replacement is about the easiest part of the job!

Well, good luck with that! I hope it holds okay. My worry would be that there is a reason for that many bolts... and that the speed of those cams might cause that section to set up some bad vibrations. Letting it sit while you get the necessary tools to get it done right might save you a HUGE headache a few miles down the road.

Regardless, you've gained quite a bit of knowledge about your bike and, hopefully, can pass it on to someone in the future!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Alright I woke up with more patience. I think tractor supply is still open, I will give it my best shot. So left hand drill bit? Maybe an extractor kit if that doesn't work? Hopefully they have a bolt that will work too.

Update: Well the bolt is loose I got it to move with a pick and a hammer, however since it moved I do not have enough space to position the pick to get it to move anymore, not without drilling a hole to get some leverage on it anyway. Still try the left hand drill bit?

·
Registered
660 Posts
That's what I'd try!

Do those bolts have copper crush washers with them? If so, I'd replace all of them. I tried to find some "generic" ones but ended up having to order them from the Honda dealership as they were a very specific size...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got it!!! I bought a punch as well, just spun it out with that. No they don't have washers. Tractor supply only had a 3 pack of bolts that would work, they are pretty much exactly the same though. Very happy lol.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sweet! (y) That is awesome!

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your post until now. Which is just as good as I'd said to keep drilling. But sounds like you got very lucky. Which makes me wonder, if it came out that easy, why did it break. Did you forget lefty loosy righty tighty or something like that?

·
Premium Member
7,052 Posts
They break because of the pressure against the head of the bolt. Remove the pressure and they can turn quite easily.
The bolt may have been too tight, which puts more strain on it, and weakens it.
That is why I thought tapping it with a sharp punch may work.
Sometimes they just break to bugger up our day. Stuff they may not tell you in mechanic class.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
19,449 Posts
Yeah, but I don't know how many times I've tightened bolts first. It's supposed to make them come out easier isn't it? :D :D :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No I don't think I turned it right. Maybe? That would explain it. It was the first bolt I tried that broke, almost quit right there. Every bolt was nerve wrecking tight. I was using a 3/8 ratchet with an 8mm bit on the bolt I broke, I think I just used too much initial force. I switched to a smaller 1/4 ratchet after that and got the rest.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I don't have that kind of luck. When I break one off, I rarely manage to get it out without some damage, busted knuckles, foul language, (provided there's no women or kids in hearing range).

Congratulations!!!🎆🎆🎆

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks guys. Well I made another mistake, a rather stupid and possibly very serious one, I turned the engine over by hand without the cam tensioner installed. The chain binded somewhere and I think it skipped a few teeth as well, I never tried to force it to turn I know I could bend valves. I probably should've just stopped and asked for help there but I panicked and took the cams out again so I could unbind the chain. I then turned the engine by hand without the cams installed to get it back to 1 and 4 TDC (the manual says I can do that if you hold the chain up so it doesn't fall off the crank sprocket). Here is a screenshot of my manual, is this all I have to do to get it back in time?

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts
is this all I have to do to get it back in time?
I can't see the letters/numbers real well but...
Yes, all you have to do is set the crankshaft at TDC (#1 cyl) and get the cam sprocket marks lined up flush to the cyl head surface and you're good.
Sometimes due to a little normal chain stretch the sprocket mark will not line up absolutely perfectly but you will be able to tell if you are a tooth off.
Don't forget to pull the slack out of the chain (non tensioner side) while you line things up.

S F

21 - 40 of 61 Posts