Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided that my 34 year old Moto-Morini might be fun to take to our local show-and shine car and motorcycle show. Met some really nice people, and saw some beautiful cars too.

First off, I didn't win anything, and there are no sour grapes. I was just a bit bewildered by the judging on the motorcycles. I could have entered my bike in either "vintage" or "stock" competition. Sensing there may be some tough competition with a few potential older BMWs, Ducatis, Triumphs, Nortons, BSAs, etc, I decided that I'd chose "stock", because my bike (no bias here) really is one of the most pristine stock bikes I've seen for its age. 2K original miles, and every sticker is there, no mods, everything works, and all original right down to the nubs on the old tires.

Turns out, there wasn't much of a selection of brands. A whole bunch of Harleys, and a few vintage ones. Plus one 1990's Honda Shadow. Mine was the only odd-ball Italian. Anyway, a lady won the "stock" trophy with her 2014 Harley. I don't get it. It's not difficult to find a pristine, 5 year-old stock Harley. It's pretty challenging to find a 34 year-old, near-pristine stock Moto-Morini. Anyway, had a great time, and saw some fine automobile eye candy!

So...what happened? I don't get it. What do the judges look for in the stock class? Should I try "vintage" if I do this again?

Cheers!

View attachment 51638

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
Judges are humans and humans will have a bias or opinion that maybe completely different than yours. You see it everywhere. Even in show cows kids raise in 4H. I don't know what is considered vintage but a 1985 or there-about bike does not seem vintage yet to me but it might be. I suspect if you could find a bike show that leaned more toward European bikes you might have a better chance in a stock class. But show judges are extremely critical. If they spotted one speck of dust ANYWHERE then you lose. They'll look in every single place where dirt, dust as in brake and otherwise, finger print, decal with and edge ever so slightly turned up, you name it and they are looking for it. They are so critical that a bike straight out of the factory won't win. That is what you are up against. I see it at tractor shows all the time. All I'm suggesting is, it isn't easy to win. Especially the bigger shows and the very small local shows where knowing the judges helps because they, like politician, are crooked.

Reactions: 122178

·
Registered
781 Posts
Although no bikes were part of this winger, I did run into the same problem with one of my cars. For three years I entered my '49 Chevy Fastback under the category of 'work in progress'. This class was for Hot Rods only. And every year, the same guy won with his '37 Chevy Coupe.

Here's the kicker. Every year my '49 was showing changes from body work, engine, interior and so forth, while the guy that kept on winning did nothing. Every year, the crowds around my car grew. A couple of guys from the 'Custom Cars of America' club, were very impressed with what I had done. They wanted me to join the club and share ideas and knowledge with other members. The other car? The CCA ignored it. So, why did he keep on winning year after year?

It was a local car show incorporating small towns within a 100 mile radius. The owner of the '39 was a very good friend of the judges and did lots of business favors for them. He also had the right last name, and had family going back to the 1800's in that area. I asked other hot rodders what was going on at my 3ed year. Other than what I stated above, they said he ALWAYS wins. That's just the way it is.

So...you just might be running into the same issues.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think the Morini is gorgeous. Definitely much more unique looking than a stock Harley, especially in styling, but its in a totally different class of bike compared to a Harley. The Italians have always been known for some of the best styling in the moto world (auto's included). If I had to guess, the judges were older, more likely to vote Harley regardless. The Morini being a 350cc bike, probably didn't help either. It would be interesting to know what the rest of your collection in the photo consist of.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
I went to a Chili Cook off once.

My wife entered.

I won’t get into the shameless way that SOME of the competitors promoted their Chili, except to note that the “son” of the Judge, who had entered his own version of “Chili,” won the contest (and apparently has won for the last few years..........cough, cough) !!!???

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Oldwinger, I officially award you the 'Best of show,' Trophy for the Moto Morini classic:grin:

As I have told you, I have always loved that bike and yours is undoubtedly the cleanest example that I have ever 'seen.':smile_big:

The Harley may have been pristine and the Woman owner pristine as well but as you stated, there are probably so many identical Harley's around but almost no wonderful stock bikes like yours.:wink2:

Next time enter in the 'classic' arena:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although no bikes were part of this winger, I did run into the same problem with one of my cars. For three years I entered my '49 Chevy Fastback under the category of 'work in progress'. This class was for Hot Rods only. And every year, the same guy won with his '37 Chevy Coupe.

Here's the kicker. Every year my '49 was showing changes from body work, engine, interior and so forth, while the guy that kept on winning did nothing. Every year, the crowds around my car grew. A couple of guys from the 'Custom Cars of America' club, were very impressed with what I had done. They wanted me to join the club and share ideas and knowledge with other members. The other car? The CCA ignored it. So, why did he keep on winning year after year?

It was a local car show incorporating small towns within a 100 mile radius. The owner of the '39 was a very good friend of the judges and did lots of business favors for them. He also had the right last name, and had family going back to the 1800's in that area. I asked other hot rodders what was going on at my 3ed year. Other than what I stated above, they said he ALWAYS wins. That's just the way it is.

So...you just might be running into the same issues.
Sounds ike Hog's last sentence might hold true.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oldwinger, I officially award you the 'Best of show,' Trophy for the Moto Morini classic:grin:

As I have told you, I have always loved that bike and yours is undoubtedly the cleanest example that I have ever 'seen.':smile_big:

The Harley may have been pristine and the Woman owner pristine as well but as you stated, there are probably so many identical Harley's around but almost no wonderful stock bikes like your.:wink2:

Next time enter in the 'classic' arena:smile:

Sam:nerd:
Thanks, Porky. I'm all better now!

·
Registered
607 Posts
In my experience -- fairly limited, but valid I think -- auto and bike shows/competitions are sort of like art shows/competitions. Who wins has little to do with the merits of the item being judged, and much to do with the preferences (or predjudices) of the judges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts