Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I already own a full shelf of motorcycle themed t-shirts. My last Kawasaki shirt recently died, but I still have several old Honda shirts, AMA shirts, a bunch from the annual International Motorcycle Show, a number of generic bike shirts, and I won't admit how many Triumph shirts. And most (but not all) of them are black. Now don't get me wrong, I love black t-shirts, and wear them all winter and much of the rest of the year, but I wish I could find more in lighter colors. I'm not an ATGATT person, since on hot days I like to wear a t-shirt as my only outer gear with my jeans (and boots, gloves, and usually a helmet). But once it turns really hot, i.e., over about 85 degrees, black shirts are less than comfortable.

I looked at the AMA online shop recently, and found almost no other than black shirts (except for women and kid's shirts) and emailed them as to why. Their answer was just that riders like black t-shirts. Even cafepress.com has a very limited selection of other than black.

I guess with the weather becoming great for riding, waking up alive each morning, I'm getting pretty desperate for something to complain about!

·
6,504 Posts
Vito, I gave up those Black t-shirts a long time ago. In the summer they will cook a person.

I first noticed the problem when we were handling security for our clubs annual bike show/ benefit event in Southern, California on a beautiful 100 degree day. You couldn't hardly lay a hand on those shirts without burning yourself and conversely, the white T-shirts weren't hot at all.

I like the quality and availability of Harley Davidson T-shirts and I look for any color other than black now, preferably in long sleeves as I'm tired of having little pre-skin cancers burnt off my arms.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
I wear a lot of black because of my profession, no telling when I'l be elbows deep in someone elses problem. But when it's really hot I generally wear lighter colors.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
And yet Asians (Vietnamese) wear all black working in swealtering rice paddies. My THEORY is that in truly intense humidity, moisture will evaporate OFF a heated black fabric faster than white. Or is it strictly a cultural thing.... Raiders fans and they didn't even know it...

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,518 Posts
^^^WIMP!^^^

I find the design put on t-shirt backs (silk screen) can get really hot regardless of the t-shirt color

·
Registered
886 Posts
know, I know, I'm another one of those that doesn't go ATGATT either but I do like the brighter colors like yellow or orange for the visibility factor. I just don't worry about wearing a bike design while riding a bike, kind of like wearing a "I love Beagles" t-shirt while walking my, um, Beagles. I just wear band t-shirts or gasp! PLAIN no design t-shirts. Just riding and wearing my way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wear plain T-shirts in all colors, no black, with nothing on them. With my stomach small print looks billboard size when I put on a shirt with writing on it.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, what is best for really hot weather is one of those day glow green or yellow synthetic t-shirts that allow full air flow and provide some UV protection, like the ones from Silver Eagle ($20 if I recall). I have a few, both short and long sleeved, that I wear when riding but not otherwise (I have a few Carhart ones as well that seem to work almost as well). But off the bike I like to wear real cotton shirts in the hot weather, and that's when I like bike-themed shirts but then find most of these are black, and just too hot for the summer.

·
10,763 Posts
Last year I bought a great new white Harley shirt. It looked great. First time I wore it I got mustard on it. Back to the black shirts.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will admit that I won't wear Harley shirts. Until I buy a HD, which likely is never, I'll not wear their gear. I can't imagine something much worse than being called a Harley wanna-be.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
The only way I'll wear some brand advertising "T" shirt is if it's given to me. I'll be darned if I'll buy one. So I get 4 or 5 Hanes all cotton in any color I want for what they want for 1 giving them free advertising. Ya'll can advertise, not me.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
If it's visibility your after.........there are highway worker vests that have those fluorescent reflective stripes on them.

Look around.........you can find them quite thin and comfortable, and relatively inexpensive.

You could also opt for a orange hunting vest. Those have pretty high visibility as well.

I actually put two reflective eyes on the back of my helmet (if you wear a helmet that is).....cost me all of six bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Colorsurge-LLC-RS976-REFLECTIVE-Decals/dp/B005PZKPMS/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1426360863&sr=8-26&keywords=Reflective+eye+Stickers+for+Motorcycle+Helmets

-Soupy

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just wear a ventilated mesh jacket in not-black colors. We get 100-120 degree temps from May to September, 80-90 in March & October. Simply put, it doesn't get cold here.

I will admit that I won't wear Harley shirts. Until I buy a HD, which likely is never, I'll not wear their gear. I can't imagine something much worse than being called a Harley wanna-be.
C'mon, don't you know that licensed bar-and-shield products gives you the right to shout out "Get a REAL Harley" from the window of your Nissan? :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
While I don't own a Harley I will admit that I used to own a small desk model of a Harley lowrider. It was really detailed and well done. I had to get rid of it because it kept leaving little oil stains on my desk!

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
While I don't own a Harley I will admit that I used to own a small desk model of a Harley lowrider. It was really detailed and well done. I had to get rid of it because it kept leaving little oil stains on my desk!
:coffeescreen: BWAAHAHAHAAA!!

Seriously though, I'm the same way. I don't feel the need to buy HD advertising when I don't own or want to own an HD. Also for that matter, I don't need to wear black shirts unless working where I might be getting real dirty. (dirt/grease, not my mind lol)
I do have a hot pink shirt soupy, it says "all my black shirts r dirty" because it's funny.
If my shirt has printing it's something I would say believe, otherwise just blank colorful shirts.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Black because it doesn't show dirt, splattered bugs, and road grime as much. Although orange and white are starting to become popular among some riders around here. A large light colored logo on the back will increase your visibility, but that's never been a concern of mine.

In thinking about it, very few of my "Harley" shirts actually say "Harley" on them. I do have a few that were mostly given to me, but most of my riding shirts have local businesses, funny sayings, or places we've stopped on the road.

And speaking of posers: A guy I know rode a Vulcan for several years, and always wore Harley shirts. He even dragged it down to Myrtle Beach in a trailer with a huge Harley logo on it. He was a cop but also wore a leather vest with all sorts of replica patches on it, until some 1%ers made him take it off. Kind of the ultimate poser, but none of us really cared, and we all kind of felt a little sorry for him.

Just recently he finally bought his first Harley so a couple of us decide to get him a really cool looking Kawasaki shirt as friendly joke, but we couldn't find one. :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts