Motorcycle Forum banner

Engine would die if I rev up in neutral. ok over 2000 rpm

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  amritgre 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I just got my first motorcycle today(used 2011 ninja 250). The first time I start reving it up even after warming up, I have to get it above 2000 rpm very slowly before the throttle starts behaving properly. It idles at 1000 rmp and between 1000 and 2000 rpm, it starts kinda dying and shuts off if go at the normal speed. I have to go very very slow between 1000 and 2000 otherwise it dies. It would take literally 5 secs or so for 1000-2000. Any faster and it dies. If I use choke and ride, it works fine. Sometimes it works fine if I've ridden it around for a few minutes.

I haven't ridden it for more than a few minutes yet. I'm not sure if it's just coz these bikes need to be above 2000 rpm before they start rolling even. But this happens even in neutral not just in the gear.

Any comments or help is much appreciated.
Thanks!:)

#2 ·
Two things come to mind that might be the problem:

Spark plugs are fouled. This can be caused by an overly rich fuel mixture. The plug electrodes will get carboned up. This can happen if the motorcycle was ridden with the choke on too long.

The carb is getting clogged. Fuel left sitting in the carb for an extended period of time will leave deposits that clog up the jet openings and small passages. The most reliable way to solve this is to disassemble the carb and soak the parts in carb dip.

#3 ·
The most reliable way to get the gunk out of a carb is a good cleaning, but, sometimes, a good fuel system cleaner works just as well. That is, if the passages are only partially blocked, and the engine runs well enough to work it through. I'd try something like Seafoam or Techron, and see if it gets better after getting the treated fuel into the carbs by draining the carbs with the bowl drains, close them and open the petcock (probably have PRI on yours), then letting it sit over night. It just might blow the gunk through the next time you ride 20 miles, or more. If not, you can always go the the carb soak process. The downside is the cleaners will also loosen anything from the bottom of the fuel tank, which can make things worse, if you don't have an in-line filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.