Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, been a little while since my last visit to this site. Thanks to all of you who welcomed and directed me to the MSFBRC. It helped me get a handle on riding and the last couple months have been great. However, my first serious problem with the bike just happened so I got a question for the repair thread here.

Picked up a 1982 Honda CM450e this summer. Put on a new chain, sprockets and tires. The previous owner changed the oil before selling it so I figured it was alright - huge mistake. Last wednesday the engine shut off on the highway and was unable to start. After towing the bike to the shop the mechs checked out the bike. ALL of the oil had either leaked or burned out of the engine. The motor overheated and fused. They called to say that it's gonna need either an engine rebuild or an entirely new one.

Called them back today to talk it over and he recommended another engine.

My questions: what engines will work? Does it have to be a CM450e engine? Could it be a different, more common engine? Where is the best place to look for these? What's some good stuff to look for when shopping for an engine? Or, would you recommend just playing dumb with the repair shop and asking them to find one? Finally, how do these look?

CM450e
CM450A
Another CM450A
1982 CB450

It looks like there are options out there, some direction from the experienced would help. Thank you.

Unk

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Have you got an estimate on how much it will cost to replace the engine? My guess is that after labor and shipping you will probably be running into the territory of buying a newer, more reliable motorcycle.

The CM450A engines have automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You really need to find out the value of the motorcycle and the cost to replace motor. If the cost to replace the motor exceeds the value of the bike, it may make sense to buy another bike. Unless it has some sentimental value to it. That I know you can't put a price tag on. I just got done rebuilding a motor on an 89 Silverado that I paid 300 bucks for. But it's an SS350 which is hard to come by.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you got an estimate on how much it will cost to replace the engine? My guess is that after labor and shipping you will probably be running into the territory of buying a newer, more reliable motorcycle.

The CM450A engines have automatic transmissions.
You really need to find out the value of the motorcycle and the cost to replace motor. If the cost to replace the motor exceeds the value of the bike, it may make sense to buy another bike. Unless it has some sentimental value to it. That I know you can't put a price tag on. I just got done rebuilding a motor on an 89 Silverado that I paid 300 bucks for. But it's an SS350 which is hard to come by.

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's one consideration on my list.

It seems there's really two options:
Part out the bike and look for a new one.
Replace the engine.

Option 1 was my first thought for all the reasons you guys mentioned, mostly that the cost of new bike may be less than the total cost of the repair. However, after purchasing a new bike I'm likely looking at new tires, change oil, new chain and maybe sprockets, carb work, etc. That's where the value in already knowing the evils of this current bike comes in.

Being a new rider, much of this is tough for me. I know very little about the mechanics of a bike. Let me talk with the shop again tomorrow specifically on prices.

Thanks again for the input, anything else you think of over night would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If you are just looking for a good bike to ride, nothing special, you should be able to pick up a Ninja 250 or 500 for under $1500 that really doesn't need much of anything. Maybe one that has some road rash but in fine working condition. I just bought a bike after 3 or 4 months of looking and research. I found that most of the newer small bikes were in quite good running order, most had been scraped up by a previous owner who learned to ride on them, but didn't really need much to be road worthy. However, without fail nearly every older bike l looked at needed tires, or the carbs rebuilt, all new brakes, something significant. Just something to think about...just because this bike needed a bunch of stuff when you bought it doesn't mean every new bike does.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are just looking for a good bike to ride, nothing special, you should be able to pick up a Ninja 250 or 500 for under $1500 that really doesn't need much of anything. Maybe one that has some road rash but in fine working condition. I just bought a bike after 3 or 4 months of looking and research. I found that most of the newer small bikes were in quite good running order, most had been scraped up by a previous owner who learned to ride on them, but didn't really need much to be road worthy. However, without fail nearly every older bike l looked at needed tires, or the carbs rebuilt, all new brakes, something significant. Just something to think about...just because this bike needed a bunch of stuff when you bought it doesn't mean every new bike does.
Or, maybe you buy another CM450 and put all your new parts on it :)
Thanks hawk. Yeah tbh I like the look of the old bikes and the way they ride. Something about the classic styling and raw engine feel. Kinda like a skinny brunette who's seen some sh*t in her life.

There's a buyer interested in the CM450 and there's a locally rebuilt CB550 for sale around 1500. If the bike's in good condition and the buyer will take my bike for 500-600, i'm probably gonna pull the trigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts