Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
My situation:
I am interested to know what it would take to install a turbocharged Yamaha R1 engine in the body of a Honda 900 sportbike.
My question:
What do I need to know or check to see if this is possible? Where would I have to measure in order to insure that the R1 engine would fit?

Thanks in advance
Chris

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I think the Yamaha engine would have to physically fit into the hole in the Honda frame. I bet you're going to have to do some welding to get the mounts where they need to be.

Will the final drive line up with the rear wheel?

Yamahonda - I love it! Like the old Tritons!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Or the Hondahaw.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to ride my bike this season and depending on whether or not I want to make it a track bike will determine if I put it through surgery. lol.

SO engine mounts, and make sure the final drive lines up with the rear wheel are most important. If the final drive didn't line up would't it just be a matter of replacing the swingarm?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not an expert but I believe the frames are designed for the specific engine. Does the Honda frame have the strength to support the engine let alone the power of that engine? Then if you get the engine to fit will it handle like the Honda or Yamaha? Will it handle nowhere near as well as either one? Engine swaps in cars or trucks work out much better because of four wheels adding stability to hold it up, you might be creating a Frankenstein monster that has no control.

·
8,572 Posts
Fahgedaboutid:biggrin:

I can think of many, many reasons why this would be a task that even NASA would take a very long time to complete.

An 1832cc Goldwing engine would be easier to put in a Honda CUB 50cc bike/ scooter.

Go for it and give us lots of pictures;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Porky, I'm sorry to inform you, but I likely will not be trying to undertake this task. I feel that I have gained enough insight from other riders to deter me from this endeavour.
If I decide that track life is for me then I wll likely just invest in a track bike.

·
Premium Member
8,909 Posts
What would it take

A lot of money and it would not be possible. Bike frames are designed around the engine. It is not like the old days where we swapped motors.
Get an SV650 for track days. You need to find out how fast you can safely go, not how fast your bike can go.
They probably will not allow a super charged bike on the track. It is not necessary.
The instructors and marshalls will be watching you. You will be limited in what you can do. It is designed for your safety.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahaha, that's a good one. As it stands I am not going to do the swap. I just wanted to know how invasive it would be. Wasn't sure if it was something reasonably doable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The mechanic working on my ZZR has a Suzuki 7/11 - 750 frame with 1100 engine in it - older stuff, same manufacturer.

There's also plenty of videos around of bikes that have had non standard turbos fitted.

All good in a straight line I guess

·
Registered
427 Posts
Considering the vast array of possibilities for increasing power on a normally aspirated motorcycle engine (look what Erik Buell managed to do with Sportster engines), turbos seem rather pointless by comparison. There's a reason why OEM turbo motorcycles are so few and far between. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
True, like the worlds fastest indian.

I've always thought that there is a limit to how much power that could be realistically usable through one tyre with a tiny contact patch, not to mention high-sides and general balance and control pitching in to corners etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts