Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

I just bought my first bike, a Honda Nighthawk 250 '06
Half way through my ride(going about 60mph) I started slowing down and couldn't speed back up.

Now the engine runs, you can shift into first and the bike will start to go forward a little bit with the clutch all the way out, but is easily stopped by putting my feet down.
I have tried second and third gear and they do the same.

The odd part is with the clutch all the way out the bike doesn't stall. I have no idea what is going on, the counter sprocket looks ok, and the clutch seems to be tight. It feels normal.

There are about 40,000 miles on the bike.

Please help!! Let me know if you need any other info.

-jb

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Could be that you or the previous owner changed oil and put the wrong kind in and ruined the clutch. I'm not sure what that feels like as I've never done it but I know the wrong oil will toast a clutch. Could also be it was slipping and it's now toast but you should have felt something wrong either way before it got to this point. If you are new to this world then I can see why not.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
With the clutch released, can the engine be revved higher without a change in speed?

It sounds like the clutch is slipping. After determining that the correct oil is being used as mentioned above, make sure that the clutch cable is adjusted properly with the correct amount of free play at the lever.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
With the clutch released, can the engine be revved higher without a change in speed?

It sounds like the clutch is slipping. After determining that the correct oil is being used as mentioned above, make sure that the clutch cable is adjusted properly with the correct amount of free play at the lever.
What sounds like to me ..

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
I sorta eluded to that but was concerned about this statement.
and the clutch seems to be tight. It feels normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I was trying to be descriptive! =)
The engine works, as in it starts and runs.
When I let the clutch all the way out, the bike barely inches forward. If there is too much resistance the bike doesn't move. It also does not stall when at a stand still with the clutch out.

The oil being used is Pro Honda HP4. The guy I bought the bike from said a mechanic told him to use that. So he gave me 8 bottles. Although I haven't changed the oil yet. Only had the bike for about a week.

The engine can rev up with out the bike moving. Which is why I though it might be a clutch problem.

How to I confirm it's a "slipping clutch", and how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks for your fast replies guys!

-jb

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Your clutch is slipping.

Check the adjustment to make sure you have enough slack in the cable and the clutch is not being held open with the clutch lever released. About 1/8th inch of slack at the clutch lever housing will do the trick on most motorcycles.

If the cable is adjusted correctly, and you are using the proper oil, the clutch is shot and needs to be replaced.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
With the clutch all the way out, is there any freeplay in the clutch lever? There should be just a bit. If the lever is tight you need to loosen the clutch cable.

Edit: Dods beat me to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it rolls easy. After adjusting the clutch the bike will go, and switch gears but I can't seem to get the right adjustment. No matter how I adjust it I can't stall the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can the clutch just be going bad? I do not believe it has been replaced. The bike just hit 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is definitely a possibility!

I am down on the side of the bike, there are two nuts.
I loosen one and tighten the other to adjust, then I turn it on and let the clutch out/shift gears.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Ok jBeaty.... Here we go... Pardon me if I do this in a manner that makes you feel dumb, but I have no way of knowing what your skill level is... With that said:

Start at the top.. on the left handlebar you have a clutch lever. It is attached to the clutch perch. The cable runs into the clutch lever by passing thru an adjuster. Best described as a kind of threaded bolt with a big round disc that locks it. Loosen the big disc all the way back, then tighten the bolt thingy all the way in to the clutch perch. If done right, the clutch lever will be slacked and not feel firm. Then go to the right side of the motor, and find the other end of the clutch cable. That's the one with the two nuts (hehehe... that always makes me laugh)... but seriously... we're gonna label these 2 nuts (hehehe) inside nut and outside nut. Inside nut is the one on the engine side of the holder. Outside nut is the one on the outside. Ok.. turn the inside nut all the way to the cable sheath. End result, the clutch cable is completely loose and removeable... DO NOT REMOVE IT. Now, while at the right side of the motor grab the arm actuator that the cable is attached to and rotate it in the direction that the cable would pull it if it were attached until it stops. Once it stops, set the two nuts (hehehe) to hold it there. Then all ya gotta do after that is adjust the free play up at the perch. There should be about 1 sixteenth to 3 sixteenth of an inch free play in the cable. Adjust it by turning the bolt thingy out. Once its right, lock it off with the big disc thingy.

If you still experience slippage, then you'll need to replace the clutch discs. Make sure to replace the springs as well.

Of coarse all this is based on the assumption that no one put slick 50 or duralube in the engine... cuz if they did, the repair procedure is a lot different!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts