Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everbody!
I'm looking to buy my first bike and Im looking at a 1994 kawasaki ninja 250. The ad Im looking at says:
"6000mi, motor rebuild last summer, new plugs, valves lapped, carb cleaned, etc. May need another carb clean"
I know less than nothing about mechanics, so I was just wondering if the engine needing to be rebuilt should raise a red flag, or if it is a good thing because it means the bike is now in good shape? How often do carbs need to be cleaned? Is it reasonable that the carb needs to be cleaned again? Are there any other things specific to this bike I should check for when I go look at it? Sorry if these are dumb questons I just really want to buy a reliable bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. I thought that seemed a little off so I'm glad I asked. I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts
Yeah, do keep looking. There are a lot of 250 Ninjas out there, and you should easily find one in good condition that has been taken care of.

·
Maximum Potentate
76 Posts
I also agree 100% with the "no go" votes.

Rebuilt? By whom? What kind of job did they do? Was the work done by the owner in his backyard, or is it a factory rebuild? Probably not the latter, but you get the point.

And of course, no engine should need a rebuild that soon unless it's a race bike, and they rebuild those nearly every race.

Carbs need cleaning (again)? What's he putting in that gas tank?

No way, Ho-zay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts