Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Kawasaki KZ550. This recently started happening: I will be riding, then pull the clutch in to shift gears, and as soon as I pull the clutch in the engine stalls. This has happened every day that I have ridden it recently. So, when pulling over and trying to start the bike again, it will only start it I close the choke completely, twist the throttle, start the motorcycle, then keep the rpms up very high. If I let the rpms drop below 4k it will stall again. This is unpredictable, and it seems to happen randomly. Sometimes after I start it up, it will go back to "normal", but most times it doesn't, so I keep shutting it off then trying again. I have no idea what this could be. I thought that maybe it was a bad coil and it was running on half the cylinders, but I replaced both ignition coils and have noticed no difference. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,569 Posts
Sounds like something is restricting the flow of gas. First, check to see if the vent on the gas cap has been blocked. Then check for pinches, bends, or similar in the fuel lines. Fuel pump? Maybe water in the tank - if you switch to reserve, does it get worse?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts