Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone.

Well I just bought my first bike, a 2010 V Star 1100 and love it. I did notice something today. When I gave the bike a quick blip while downshifting, the engine made a pop noise and there was a throttle delay, first time this has happened. So while I sat in the driveway with the clutch pressed, I gave it a couple quick revs, and about 1 out of every 5 made the engine pop noise. The only thing different today vs other days, is that I forgot to turn off the fuel switch while at work, not sure if this is what caused it. The bike didn't seem to backfire or stutter while driving home, just made the noise as I was pulling into the driveway.

The reason I'm posting this is because I have a 30 day warranty on it, and if it could be something bad I'll bring it in.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hi is the bike bone stock? If it has aftermarket stuff like exhaust then it may pop a bit whenever unburned fuel gets past the engine into the exhaust pipe & ignites there.

If it's still under warranty by all means go show the dealer the issue. It's especially great if you can replicate the problem while they're looking at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nordic,

Yeah the bike is stock, nothing added. I did forget to mention that it only happens when I do quick revs, normal revving it's fine.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
The pop is normal, it is unburnt fuel going through the engine when you let off the blip and it gets pushed into the exhaust and ignites there. Nothing to worry about and a great bike to ride anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone, you've put my paranoia in check. I will keep an eye to make sure it doesn't get worse, but sounds like nothing to worry about.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could need a carb adjustment. Dealer should be able to sort it out. My 1100 has the Cobra long tubes on it and it does the same thing, but I need to rejet the carbs to solve my problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Breather Pop

The Popping that you are hearing is from the Breather, Not from the Exhaust, Be sure to fill up the Gas tank with Hi test Gas, The regular Gas is not hi Octane and this will cause the breather to pop air back through the carbs when you blip the gas when down shifting. If the Popping is coming out of the exhaust pipes then it is caused by Rick Or Lean conditions, This is Carb related and Adjustment will fix this, If the exhaust has been changed & it pop's from the exhaust Mostly when letting off of the fuel then the Carbs will need to be re-jetted. I believe what your hearing is Carb/Airbox Popping, Due to Clogged air filter or low octane Gas.;)

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Pop

They do that.
Or should I say new bikes can do that. It happens when you quickly open the throttle, but not when you slowly open or squeeze the throttle.
What is your bike, or my 006 SV1000, trying to say?

A usual air to fuel mix is 14 to 1. In the interests of trying to give good fuel economy, the bright engineers reduce the air fuel mix to about 24 to 1 at idle. At that ratio the bike will not operate above an idle. Along comes the hot rod kid who wants the idling engine to suddenly go to a zillion revs. The engine in it's own language says no, but it spells it POP.
Prior to fuel injected engines the same bright lights put diaphragms in carburetors, all designed to ease the revs up and down to save fuel.
POP says too lean, as in John Denver crash, gurgle says too rich, as in pored too much beer in throat.

You want instant ringy dingy revs, you need a Yamaha 250 GP bike with old style carburetors and a light weight crank.

Learn to squeeze not jerk. Apply the same principal to the brakes.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts