Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i was riding my 2004 Suzuki gs500f this morning and when i started i noticed a knocking, i could feel the knock through the pegs and could hear it.
the knock only happens when i am accelerating in gear but not when i idle or rev, the knock goes away when i roll after accelerating and it does not knock whilst slowing down.
i read that it may be caused by low octane fuel but i fill my bike up religiously with 98 octane.
any ideas what it may be?

·
Registered
281 Posts
So, you have strong knocking under load.

My first thought (and worst case scenario) is piston rod/crank shaft wear...as that connection wears, a gap forms...so instead of those two parts being perfectly mated and separated by a micro-layer of oil, they gap open and pound against each other..initially it's only under load, but in time it will knock constantly...time for an engine rebuild.

Fuel knock is also possible (best case scenario)...I would shift to standard octane (89/91), non ethanol, fuel and see what happens.

You really need to let someone with repair experience ride the bike...they will know whether it's fuel, or engine part knocking just by the sound and feel of the pounding.

PS> Don't push the bike to the knocking point any more than necessary to diagnose the problem. Whether it's fuel or parts wear, you're risking serious damage when you hear that knocking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts