Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at work on lunch but have a question on my manual.

There is alot of items to replace such as wires, plugs, air filters, oil, general lubrication, tires, tubes, bulbs, fork seals, brake pads front and rear, brake fluid and prestone replacement, alternator (went bad), volt regulator (went bad) and battery which I do. Starter still good.

It also talks about some engine adjustments. I do not have the manual for specifics now so should I leave these alone, let a mechanic do it or try it myself. The honda manual is well written and pretty straight forward so wondering if I should leave a sleeping dog lay.

Also how about bearings, shocks or anthing else.

None of these have been replaced.

I do 500 miles a week to and from work so just being proactive (90% highway).

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Most of those sound like normal wear & tear stuff. Both the alt and regulator going bad... hope there is not some other underlying issue which caused both to go.

As for engine adjustments, they may be talking about adjusting the valves. Not certain on a VLX, but I know the valve adjustments on a 750ACE are pretty easy to do, if you have any experience with a wrench, and can follow directions. If you are referring to the carburetors, anything beyond syncing the carbs, and adjusting the idle mix screws and the idle speed will involve pulling the carbs and taking them apart. That can be more involved.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crankcase plug

My crankcase hose should have a plug at the end but its missing. Its a black hose on left side connected to black plastic container.

here is part from baike badit schematic. Should I buy it? Whats it do?

PLUG, BREATHER TUBE
,A AC
596737 Ships within 1 to 2 business days $3.13 $3.13

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It might be a check valve to allow the case to vent but keep foreign material out of the engine. It's hard to say without being able to look at it.

For $3, I'd say it's worth having.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Valves are the most common thing that needs to be adjusted engine-wise. If this model has a chain, it should be checked for adjustment regularly.

Wheel bearings should be checked periodically, as well as the steering head and swing arm bearings.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, the bike has probably never had the valves checked but it runs fine. Bought at 3000, now 50,000. When I have a long weekend will do it or may bring it in. Does not seem hard to do according to manual but the first time is always the hardest.

Appreciate all your help. I am going to check with my dealer since I have to stop by and pick up a tool I ordered and ask him about that crankcase hose.

Concerning the alternator and regulator they broke at different times not together. I also was leaving my bike outside a lot(rain) at one time and that may of contributed to some issues. I have a cover now or put in garage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Addition.

Also checked bearings when replaced tires. Spin well, no noise and no dirt inside.

Looked at shock not leaking and spring not broken. Bike springs bounce back well.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Thanks, the bike has probably never had the valves checked but it runs fine. Bought at 3000, now 50,000.
50,000 miles, and never had the valves checked. The VLX uses a mechanical cam, like the 750, and on the 750, the valve check/adjustment interval is every 8,000 miles. Where the VLX runs a little higher in the RPM range, I would imagine that valve clearance checks and adjustments would come at least as often. This bike is not like the 1100, which has hydraulic finger followers. I HIGHLY recommend that if you do not do it yourself, you have a shop you trust do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts