Motorcycle Forum banner

Emergency Repair Kit

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Retired Guy 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 2014 Zero S and got into motorcycle riding through decades of bicycle riding and about 8 years of electric bike riding. I have a bike repair kit (tire levers, spare tube, pump, basic wrenches and tools etc) and was wondering if there is something similar for motorcycles. I shouldn't expect to fix a flat and pump up the tire, correct? Should I carry basic tools and maybe a small first aid kit?

Of course I don't want to carry too much and don't have a lot of storage, just a small top case and a case where the tank would be. I do carry a charging cord (NEMA 5-15 to IEC320 C13).

Thanks,
BC

#2 ·
As long as that Zero has normal tubeless motorcycle tires then you can carry a plug kit and source of air, the same plugs that are used for an car tire work in tubeless bike tires. Since you have an electric bike instead of the usual 12 volt compressor most carry you might want to look into a C02 cartridge inflater unless your bike has a 12 volt source? That or a small hand pump.

A first aid kit is up to you, I don't carry one but sure could have used it one day...

Besides the plug kit and compressor few simple tools is all i carry, a folding set of allen wrenches, a pair of channel locks, a few cable ties and a piece of duck tape will fix anything ;-)

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if I'd bother to carry anything. It's not like you will be very far from any source of help except for maybe a Sunday. Will you be riding fire trails? Doubtful. So if you run into trouble how far will an auto parts store be? Or a (gag) Walmart? Or a drug store for first aid. I'm not sure of the weight of the bike but I don't think it's even close to the 500 pound range so I think I could push it a couple miles if I had to. Now if you had the range to be in some really remote areas then yes, I'd want a means to fix a flat or do some first aid. But I just don't it as an issue here. I could be way wrong though. Many think I am on occasions. Of course you had all that on bicycles so maybe you do need it and there are kits as stated above.

#4 ·
Welcome!

If I am riding close to home (within 20-30 miles), I usually don't carry any extra gear/supplies. Outside that radius, I will pack my flat repair and first aid kits. Relying on others when on the road is a roll of the dice...

One of the best gifts my wife ever got me was a tail bag last Christmas. So much better than a backpack!

#5 ·
Whenever I go anywhere on one of the bikes, I check my back pack for these items.
Wallet, glasses, phone, registration papers. Now I am good to go anywhere.
Secondary stuff is: Clothing, gloves rain gear. Tools and tire fixit stuff. Sometimes needed: Rope, shopping bags.

UK

#6 ·
Having hard bags on my Yamaha, my tire repair kit and 12 volt inflator are always on board, as well as a few hand tools, zip ties and electrical tape.

Best thing to carry is your cell phone. Within a couple hundred miles of home I can call the wife, have her hitch the trailer to the truck and come get me. Will cost me a steak or sea food dinner, but it's worth it. :)

#7 ·
After being surprised by a little rain, I'm thinking Douglas Adams was correct to write a towel is essential. I was fortunately at the gym so I had a towel to wipe off my seat and dash.

I'm thinking a trailer or motorcycle carrier would be a good idea. My wife would never hitch it up but she might fetch me and reiterate why motorcycle riding is wrong all the way back, but ... forget it, I'll just call an Uber.

BC

#8 ·
Bass Cadet;2588764 I'm thinking a trailer or motorcycle carrier would be a good idea. My wife would never hitch it up but she might fetch me and reiterate why motorcycle riding is wrong all the way back said:
Tsk tsk....
I feel sorry for you guys.
If I come home with another motorcycle, my wife says "That's nice" and goes back to her reading.
When I'm headed out for a day on the road, she says, "Be careful. See you later." and goes back to her reading.
Of course Mike721 has it the best. His wife has about as many bikes as he does. :grin::grin::grin:

#10 ·
When I tell the wife I'm going riding, she just says be careful. Now if I'm packing, she'll ask where I'm going, I'll tell her and she says be careful.

That's how she gets her "alone" time. And I get my "alone" time. We still have "our" time together and this works for us. Not everything about getting older is bad. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.