Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while out on a typical easy ride, with my wife as passenger, I came to a stop at the end of a curved right-turn lane at the stop sign. The ground was clear, no oil, sand or gravel. I'd been at this rural spot a hundred times, and at stops like this untold thousands of times. As I came to the full stop, I guess I was leaned over to the right just a tad too much, and over I went. My wife and I tumbled off onto the ground but it was pretty gentle, all things considered. My wife ended up with a small bruise on her knee, and that was the total extent of any "injuries". The bike itself was totally unscathed, resting on the front crash bars. Other than pushing my right mirror out of position, which took 2 seconds to fix, the bike was totally fine. It even was easier than I would have thought to get this bike back up; all 800 pounds of it, although I'll admit my wife insisted on helping.

This was only the second time in 30+ years of riding that this has happened to me, and the first time was when I was a new rider. I still can't believe that I let this happen, and it was a blow to my ego. As a former MSF instructor and a rider with I'm sure over 150,000 miles under my belt, I felt pretty foolish to fall down.

It also made me realize what a degree of trust our passengers put on us. My wife didn't hesitate to get back on the bike with me and ride home, and she says she didn't think it was a big deal.

Hopefully I can go another 30 years without a tip over.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Sometimes we need a wake up and pay attention incident. As long as no one gets hurt it's a good thing. They heck with the ego!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Wow, this must be contagious or something - I just did the same thing a week or so ago.

Glad you're OK!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
that's one of the GREAT things about the MC world ... it just keep us all humble.

Pretty much - any time I look at the problems of somebody else and say "It cant happen to me" ... somethin' happens to me too :)

dT

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
For when you're alone. With it on the crash bars it should pop right up:

I did thing right as a Basic 2 rider training class was leaving the range...You can see them in the background as they walk back to the building...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Stuff happens. I agree that it speaks well of your wife that she trusted you enough to get back on and ride with you. I am sure it was embarrassing but you got going again very quickly which might minimize things in her mind.

·
Registered
699 Posts
It is funny how stuff happens sometimes. I stalled the bike twice yesterday, for the first time since the first week I bought it (about a year ago). The first one yesterday I for reasons unknown shifted down to first from neutral in my driveway without pulling in the clutch (WTF?) and the second time pulling out from an intersection in New Mexico. The second one was me being really tired and my hands being a bit cramped, I think. I had just ridden the Coronado Trail in Eastern AZ (something like 420 curves mostly steeply downhill). I stopped and rested and snacked shortly after this and had no problems on the way home. (well, til I got home and discovered I could not feel my nether regions. The baby Vulcan has an unforgiving seat.)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dropped mine for the first time with this bike, it happen in my garage knocked me into my wife's new Ford Edge put a dent in the back door That is being fixed today. No one hurt, me or the bike, it rested on the crash bar and pop back up with little effort.
That is only the second time I've droped a bike. ��

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sometimes we need a wake up and pay attention incident. As long as no one gets hurt it's a good thing. The heck with the ego!
I'll take one of those a year over any major crash in my lifetime, thanks. My ego needs deflating periodically so I don't get cocky.

Sorry you went down, vito, but glad it was so gentle and your wife wasn't freaked out by it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts