Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cars keep getting new safety technologies (collision avoidance, blind spot monitoring, etc.), we get left behind. ABS got introduced much later for us.

The only electronic safety mod I have is a brake light blinker I got from eBay which makes brake lights blink a certain pattern as soon as I apply the brakes. This is supposed to better inform following traffic that I am slowing down.

Are there any other electronic gadgets or technology out there to improve safety that you have tried and can recommend?

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Adding extra brake lights to the back if there is room.
Headlight modulator. (not recommended for use with HID lights)
GPS (helps prevent getting lost, and can help you find a gas station if need be)
Portable jumper. (will get you started back up if the battery gets drained somehow)
Aftermarket horn. (much louder than stock)

·
Registered
518 Posts
+1 on aux lights. I've a pair of Warn lights up front. The difference at night is amazing. "Lights on for safety" is thing now even in the daytime.

Since 1979, most motorcycles sold in the United States have been equipped with automatic-on headlamps to meet some state requirements. This seems to have been an effective method of making them more conspicuous and reducing right-of-way violations. Currently, 86 percent of motorcycles on the road have their headlights on during daytime (Turner, 2000).http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/motorcycle49-50.html

Bright and clear lights. Smoked lenses may look cool, but clear lenses will be seen better.

It's not electronic, but reflectors and reflective tape help to be seen. So do bright colors and white.

·
8,613 Posts
A loud horn is the best safety Mod around. My past 2012 Goldwing had a horn sourced off of the Honda Accord and it would wake the dead.

My new Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster came with an optional Stebel Nautilus air horn @ 139 Decibels:biggrin:

The top of the line Goldwing option has an airbag! Don't laugh, it works and is very effective in frontal collisions.

Very large safety advancements with motorcycles have to do with integrated ABS and selectable "Traction Control," which enhances control on slick surfaces by eliminating power at times to the rear wheel.

I won't be long before night vision assist will be available as a heads up display on the top touring bikes.

My favorite is electronic-automotive type cruise control, right from GOD himself:biggrin:

Sam:71baldboy:

G

·
A loud horn is the best safety Mod around. My past 2012 Goldwing ad a horn sourced off of the Honda Accord and it would wake the dead.

The top of the line Goldwing option has an airbag! Don't laugh, it works and is very effective in frontal collisions.
Sad thing is when you were selling your Goldwing (price was good) I actually was thinking about. The only thing that stopped me from making an offer was the fact that I wanted to trade in my Honda ATV 420AT to get rid of something I hardly used.

·
Motorbike Macgyver
386 Posts
While cars keep getting new safety technologies (collision avoidance, blind spot monitoring, etc.), we get left behind. ABS got introduced much later for us.

The only electronic safety mod I have is a brake light blinker I got from eBay which makes brake lights blink a certain pattern as soon as I apply the brakes. This is supposed to better inform following traffic that I am slowing down.

Are there any other electronic gadgets or technology out there to improve safety that you have tried and can recommend?
It's been scientifically proven that flashing lights throw off depth perception. Seen one bike with blinking rear lights. Didn't think it warned me any better than non blinking brake lights, and in fact I wasn't even sure it was a brake light when I first saw it blink. In 100 years, steady brake lights have remained the standard for cars, honestly don't think flashing brake lights are gonna help motorcycle riders one bit, but if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling, go for it. Just my opinion. But if I'm riding down the road and I see another guys tail light start blinking, I'm going to get confused as I did the first time I saw it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll join The Shake in the barrel on this one. Oscillating lights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Skully helmet comes to mind... sadly a bit too pricey for me to personally review :(
I like Skully's feature of ultra-wide angle blind spot camera. But, agree with you that it is expensive for me too.

I have seen a few riders mounting GoPro camera on their helmet. I don't know if that helps with safety somehow or is just to capture video of their ride. I have seen them with GoPro cams on normal commute rides on the highway.

Have any of you come across these riders or use GoPro cameras on your helmet as a quick safety feature hack?

·
Registered
518 Posts
A friend of mine has gotten into bicycling pretty heavy since spring. 100s of miles a month. Half of those are commuter miles. He said he noticed a marked improvement of cage drivers around him once he mounted a camera to his helmet.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'll join The Shake in the barrel on this one. Oscillating lights belong on emergency vehicles, not motorcycles.
Put me on that list as well.

Every bike I've seen with flashing headlights was going 55 in the right lane and wasn't in danger of passing anyone. The lights only served to annoy whoever they were behind.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'll swear by my modulating headlight. I really don't care if annoys people. Getting t-boned by someone with at least 100 feet of visibility in a slow-speed situation is what's annoying.

Yeah, someone may be driving 55 in the right lane but that isn't all I drive. Lots of city/suburban driving and I swear the number of times I have been cut off has drastically gone down since installing it.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
The only problem I have with headlight modulators is they blind me coming the other direction, a tad more than just annoying. I actually have to avert my gaze as if high beams at night. I don't know why but those really bother my vision for some reason.

I have a Super Flasher for my LED taillight. I can control flash rate and duration. I have it set to flash quick and fairly short like the brake lights on an ambulance. Just a second of flashing fast then solid on. It does help to grab the attention of the driver behind me.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
There is also an app/program that lets someone follow you via GPS on a computer. If you were stopped too long and they couldn't contact you they could contact authorities for a drive by at least.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
I have electronic cruise control on my RSTD. It is a great feature.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
There is also an app/program that lets someone follow you via GPS on a computer. If you were stopped too long and they couldn't contact you they could contact authorities for a drive by at least.
I don't think I want anyone calling the cops on me for no reason.

I don't think I want anyone to know where I am too often for that matter.:biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
I can see you now wearing a bush and a cop stops and asks if you are okay.

:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts