Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 83 Goldwing I'm working on has a nice Clarion radio, which was an option back in the day. I'm going through it and fixing a bunch of things - lots of mice chewed wiring and such. Everything is working now except for one speaker. It's not a speaker issue, as I'm using a good test speaker I have in my shop (which does work on the other side.) If I turn the volume up all the way I can hear sound, just very faintly. (The other side works great when I hook that up - loud as it should be.) There is no difference switching between stereo and mono sound. My gut feeling is a problem in the Amplifier box, but I'm really useless with this stuff and I have no idea where to begin with this.

If it matters, the Clarion system is broken down into components, a controller (the thing in the dash you interact with), a receiver, and an amp which sends the sound out to the speakers.

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
Don't amps work with channels? Suggesting maybe a blow channel. Now don't ask me what a channel is even on those things. Just seems like I heard the term used in relation to amplifiers.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
Yeah, the symptoms are of a blown output stage in the power amplifier, and the pre-amp output is just feeding through. It could be the speaker on that side was shorted, and took the amp with it.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that would make a lot of sense. Most of the wiring was very severely mouse-chewed, so there were a LOT of bare wires.. and water was everywhere in there. I'm going to poke around with it a bit more, but I'll probably end up just getting one of fleaBay. I'll probably take it apart a bit more and see if anything is obviously burned or getting hot.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
low sound is usually a bad connection, but there was this little known problem with stereos "back in the day".

Clarion, was known for their savy electroinics, and were experimenting with Series speaker systems, the power lines weren't two sends with two grounds they were 1 send, and 1 ground for one speaker, and a single looping send to the speaker and back to the radio. What is was supposed to do, is reduce noise by cutting out a chassis ground. See what happens if you ground the speaker manually? if it makes loud sound, then you have a series problem, if it doesn't you could be running parrallel to a problem someplace else...(toss the clarion, its an analog monster in a digital suit)

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Yeah, the symptoms are of a blown output stage in the power amplifier, and the pre-amp output is just feeding through. It could be the speaker on that side was shorted, and took the amp with it.

cmonStart, I think WintrSol is right... I actually went to a vo-tech school for electronics and stereo/tv repair as a teenager. And as a hobby, I build and repair guitar amps. Your stereo system (if I understand them correctly) consists of a control pad, a receiver/preamp, and then a power amp to drive the speakers.

If you can dis-connect the preamp from the power amp, and then connect the preamp to a set of head phones, then you can hear if the preamp is working properly simply by listening as you adjust the volume. If you hear a proper variance in the volume thru the head phones, then the prob is for sure in the power amp or the wires/connectors to it. The preamps in clarion systems were known to be rock solid. The power amps, however, would often blow a channel for the smallest short... such as that caused by a mouse or even moisture.

Hope you conquer this problem soon Bro!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts