Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New to this site
I have a 1987 Suzuki Intruder 700 and recently I went to go on a night time ride and my low beam wasnt working, I switched to the high beam and it was working so I went on a little ride, during the ride my low beam started working again which I thought was weird.

Anyway, a few days later I went on another long ride around 2 hours and at 2 points during the ride my bike started to cut out on me as if I was running out of gas, but I had more than enough gas. I got it home no problem but the next day when I was riding it continued to cut off on me and I ended up getting stuck in 4 peoples driveways.

Strange thing is when it would cut off on me, my indicator lights (neutral, temp, oil, etc.) would not be on even though the key was turned, so I would turn the key off and back on and they would be on but when I would go to start it all I would get is a loud click and then my indicator lights would go back off. After fiddling around with the key and starter button several times I would get it to start but it would only run for a while longer before cutting out on me once again.

Today, I bought a new battery to replace the old one and rode several times today with no issues of cutting out or difficulty starting. The only thing is my low beam is not working at all and my high beam still does, this worries me that I have not fixed the problem.. Does anyone have any ideas on what this possibly could be?

Thanks to all!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Visually trace the wiring, looking for loose connections or bad insulation. You can use an ohmmeter to help trace where the break is if the connections are secure, tight and clean.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I would start by removing the headlight and visually inspecting the wiring in the housing.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
what you are looking for is wire that has been pinched between something and the ground, with a pressure stong enough to break the insulation on the wire....thats about 6 lbs(standard guess by smart trained electrician/mechanic er master handyman)
anyway... there are only a few places where wiring might be pinched, so you should start by getting a cable routing of the machines electrics, or you can use the shop mechanics professional tools and just start tearing into it.
in anycase, don't blame us if you don't get home...a bike that is cutting out, is not a good choice for a moonlight ride.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
The wiring is internal to the handlebars, so the most likely spot is where it exits the bars behind the headlamp, next is where it enters the headlamp shell, last would be where the switch mounts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts