Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, im scared lol. I just bought this bike, 82, GLS 850 Suzuki. Picked it up for 1000. Mechanically sound. It was electrically sound, but the guy had removed hard sattle bags, that had Blinkers in them, and put on a diff set of blinkers. He ran new wire, smaller gauge than the original (annoys me a bit, im gonna change that no biggy) It worked when I bought it, when I got it home, the fuse blew out for the headlight and blinkers. So I changed the fuse out, I did use the correct fuses. It worked for like, 1 min. Than the lights blew out again. I probably have a bad ground somewhere. Well, as im pulling the sht fuses out, I had left the keys on. After that, I don't have any electric on the bike.

I have put in new fuses from the store, and I can't get anything to work. No start, lights, etc etc. I really am nervous its the Stator, idk how hard it would be to find 1, and even replace 1, tho im sure i could figure it out.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didnt see an edit option, so Im just gonna post a reply.

My thoughts its either the

A. Ignition. I was drinking when changing the fuses so i might have been stupid enough to touch 2 positives.

B. Stator. This is just a guess from what I have been told. Im new to bikes, and just trying to figure it out.

Im not to worried about the problem, Im sure I can fix it and am kinda happy it happened cuz I want to know the bike inside and out, and this is gonna get me real familiar with the bike before I actually hit the road so yea.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Check down by the battery or solenoid for a main fuse.. Often there is one hidden down there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what ampage would the main be?

In the actual box I have a Main which is only 15. Its also right below the Ignition which is 10, and thats where I think i ****ed up.

its

head 10
signal 10
Ignition 10
main 15
powersource 10

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the short, the new wire he used for the blinkers, in the rear positive had melted to the break light positive, im assuming the Break is on the head fuse, while the singal is on its own fuse? just a guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lool...... I feel incredibly stupid right now..... My friend called me after I changed the fuses and i got a bit distracted and he started telling me that its really easy to burn out the Stator on bikes and such, so I automatically assumed the worse...

I did blow the Main fuse on the bike, but I never cleaned the connection on the connections, it was a bit corroded, I double checked it and thats all it was. Thanks for bringing up the main fuse, I woulda been jumpin the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts