Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I am having another problem with my scooter. (I don't know much about engines/vehicles) When I turn my key in the ignition to the on position nothing lights up and I have no power but I have my battery charged because I keep it on a charger and when I kick start my scooter it works and runs fine and lights and everything work. But I hate kick starting it because it takes forever just kicking the crank over and over and I am scared to take it anywhere in case I can't kick it. Just imagine walking out of a store with a helmet and jacket while everyone stares at you and girls actually notice you then walking over to a lame scooter and having to stand there for 20 minutes kicking a crank... It's embarrassing! Then some fat guy in an overcoat walks by and asks how your day is going? I miss my electrical starting =( what should I check? Is there something wrong with the ignition switch? Also I was at a friends house and it rained on my scooter, could this have caused this?

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Two things.

1) Have battery check for load capacity
2) Check the connections at the battery, frame and starter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked around and I do not have a voltage meter so I need to figure out borrowing one from someone. I did check the fuse and it looks fine. Thanks for the reply guys

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
If you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy a multi-meter for less than $10. If it happens to be on sale for less than 5. Check the flyers on line

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if all the electric stuff works when the engine is kick started and my charger says the battery is all the way charged could the battery still be bad? I am tired of this cheap Chinese scooter there is always something wrong. I can't wait till I can afford a motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Yes, the battery could still be bad. As long as the battery can achieve rated voltage, the charging system will run your ignition and auxiliaries. That is not the same as having a fully functioning battery that can turn over your starter motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at my battery and noticed it says "storage battery" on it, does that mean this battery was just for warehouse storage? Kind of like how my engine came with shipping oil in it.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Isn't that just referring to "energy" storage as in "battery"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If that photo is of the battery, as it sits in your scooter right now, I think the problem is obvious. The negative terminal is not tightened at all. That would surely cause the no starter action problem.

Or did you loosen it to show the words on the side?

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Noticed that too but was hoping he was just installing it. If not that's for sure the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right regarding the storage statement... Yes I couldn't get that to screw all the way down and it has not been an issue though and I thought if the metal was touching it's fine

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
You need all the surfaces touching to have good solid contact. I'd take the bolt out, remove the cables and then just put the bolt back in until you get it to go down farther. You may have cross threaded it so make sure it is going in straight first. Then put the cables back on and tighten. You might be forced to use the side hole if you cross threaded to much. That is if you have enough slack cable. May need to tap it out to the next size larger bolt would be another solution by using a self tapping bolt. Lead is easy to do that with. Just don't go too large.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wore a glove and pushed the cables down so everything is touching the metal at bottom solidly with key on and it didn't get power so I don't think it is the issue, you still think it is? I didn't completely understand that comment but I will try to tighten it

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
If that doesn't help and you have check all other connections, as suggested already, you need to get it tested under a load at a parts house.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts