Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Older 82 Magna v45 750, starts when jumped, but no matter where I adjust carb screw still have to keep throttle just a pinch back so it wont die, but fully charged battery on bike acting like its dead, and wont turn over. Ive cleaned terminals...

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
The first thing I would do is have the battery load-tested. It's possible to have a battery that charges to the proper voltage, but can't put out enough amperage to turn the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, wonder how i would do that test, since I had the parts store charge and test it already. But that doesnt say much for cold cranking...but still once i get it running it should run fine but not. Someone mentioned a capacitor? Not sure, but little round thing next to battery with wires to it gets hot the whole time...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well found out battery failed load/ cold crank test, luckily under warranty got a brand new one. Also took off starter solenoid and cleaned rusty connections. Fires right up now!
But still boggy. Dies at a stop and tops out at 50. Carbs clogged? Ran sea foam and gumout already, might continue other things...

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
How much do you know about this bike's history? Is this a bike that you just bought recently or got running recently?

Btw, I ride a 1983 750 and it easily does 80 in third gear with three more gears available. These bikes are beasts, but very difficult to work on the carbs...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts