Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my headlamp works, the turn signals work (when activated), the brake light works (when brake applied). what DOESN'T work:
speedometer/tachometer illumination, turn signals are not 'always on' (when not activated), the back light.
i checked fuses and obvious connections--seems to be ok.
here's the kicker....the back light DOES work--when i turn the key to PARK!
what am i missing? thanks!

·
Banned
685 Posts
speedometer/tachometer illumination, turn signals are not 'always on' (when not activated), the back light.
The speedo illumination AND the tail light might just be burned out bulbs.

That model of bike might NOT have running lights in the front signals; none have them in the rear.

Check the bulbs and sockets first.

Hondas of about that vintage are also known for bad grounds.

Things would be much easier if you had a voltmeter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the tail light DOES work...when the ignition key is turned to Park.
and all of these didn't die one-by one...they all stopped working simultaneously...
and this model bike does have running lights in the front signals, because they worked previously...

G

·
Assuming you've checked all the fuses, I'd also check the ground. When you have a bad ground, weird stuff happens. Like one light will work, but when you turn them all on, nothing works.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Hondas of about that vintage are also known for bad grounds.

Things would be much easier if you had a voltmeter.
but the tail light DOES work...when the ignition key is turned to Park.
No need to get irritated.
MANY folks tend to leave out important details so it's important to cover the basics first.

It is possible that the tail light gets it's power via a different fuse in PARK.....so I suggest that you double check the fuses and their sockets.

Then there are the grounds and wiring connectors.

This should be fairly simple with a meter and wiring diagram; MUCH more difficult without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not irritated at all; on the contrary, very grateful for all the suggestions. i was just using the bold as emphasis...for emphasis!
ha ha
;-)

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts