Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go. I have a 2001 Shadow Sabre 1100. I have an electrical issue. I have a new battery, I replaced the Stator (black and corroded), and replaced the rectifier/regulator. I used the multimeter today, and watched as my battery drained while running at idle. I think there is a short (obviously) but don't know how to locate it. I am slowly learning how to work on this, and do not want to take it to a shop unless necessary. The battery was replaced in September. and the other parts in the last 3 weeks. Please someone help me....

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both of you. the wiring from the stator to the rectifier is all new. I have no mechanical aptitude what so ever. I work on the bike in front of my townhouse with the laptop in the doorway to step by step my way through repairs. I did notice a small cut in the positive battery cable. I guess I'll pull the wiring harness schematic and follow that. My only other guess would be the magnet not spinning around the stator. Any thoughts on that one?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Stator and regulator/ rectifier check out as good. The multimeter shows a good charge back, the rectifier shows .01 volts of ac current. I did find a short in the left/ front turn signal. Now though my bike just died again. It multimeter shows a 14 volt charge on the battery, but when I push the starter the voltage drops to 7.5- 8 volts on the battery.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The charger is a 12 volt charger made for PWCs and Bikes. I was getting a good charge back of the stator yesterday. and The reg/ rec was fine as well. I do know I have a bad turn signal and going to change it tomorrow, I just can't figure out why I am getting the pull of the bike.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn MAgnet!

The magnet the rotates around the Stator was pulling in the wires and slicing through them, grounding out the charging system. When I replaced the stator the first time, I didnt notice a bent wire guide. The second time I did notice it and flattened it out and have had no problems since. Thanks for you alls help!:71baldboy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.