Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
First thing I would check would be for power getting to the rectifyer. If you have power getting there, then the problem would be after.

As Dods stated, you will probably want to check all the wiring over.

I would like to say that it may not be so much as a short as a loss of continuity somewhere. If the connection is not there, then the jiuce cannot get to the battery.
Think of the rectifier as sort of a check valve for the generated AC current. The AC current will [on a good rectifier]flow only one way,to the battery,and by the time it goes through the rectifier,it is now DC current.
If you can get a hold of a Honda repair manual, there are simple tests that you can use to make sure your rectifier is OK. On the Honda page of this site,right at the top of the page is the link to find the free manuals
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,160 Posts
Ok, Stator and regulator/ rectifier check out as good. The multimeter shows a good charge back, the rectifier shows .01 volts of ac current. I did find a short in the left/ front turn signal. Now though my bike just died again. It multimeter shows a 14 volt charge on the battery, but when I push the starter the voltage drops to 7.5- 8 volts on the battery.
so what you are saying is that your battery has 14.0 volts sitting there,and 8 volts when you press the starter button,and when you cease pushing the button,you have 14.0 volts again?
If that is the case,then I would take the large negative cable from the battery loose from the frame of the bike,and clean that connection to bare metal and make sure it is nice and tight. In fact,check [and clean!] all the connections of the big wires that connect battery to solenoid ,solenoid the starter,and negative battery post to ground wire.
Why is the bike's battery slowly draining while it runs,but while sitting, it has a resting voltage of 14 volts? How did that happen? There is such a thing as getting a battery to charge too high. charging the battery quickly with a too high setting on an automotive battery charger can damage the battery.
Perhaps you can clarify this for me , or maybe I am just not understanding what you have already shared with us?
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top