Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go. I have a 2001 Shadow Sabre 1100. I have an electrical issue. I have a new battery, I replaced the Stator (black and corroded), and replaced the rectifier/regulator. I used the multimeter today, and watched as my battery drained while running at idle. I think there is a short (obviously) but don't know how to locate it. I am slowly learning how to work on this, and do not want to take it to a shop unless necessary. The battery was replaced in September. and the other parts in the last 3 weeks. Please someone help me....

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Check all the wires and connectors for corrosion or defective insulation. It may take some diligence and patience, but the short is there somewhere because of a bare wire touching something it shouldn't be touching.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
First thing I would check would be for power getting to the rectifyer. If you have power getting there, then the problem would be after.

As Dods stated, you will probably want to check all the wiring over.

I would like to say that it may not be so much as a short as a loss of continuity somewhere. If the connection is not there, then the jiuce cannot get to the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both of you. the wiring from the stator to the rectifier is all new. I have no mechanical aptitude what so ever. I work on the bike in front of my townhouse with the laptop in the doorway to step by step my way through repairs. I did notice a small cut in the positive battery cable. I guess I'll pull the wiring harness schematic and follow that. My only other guess would be the magnet not spinning around the stator. Any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
First thing I would check would be for power getting to the rectifyer. If you have power getting there, then the problem would be after.

As Dods stated, you will probably want to check all the wiring over.

I would like to say that it may not be so much as a short as a loss of continuity somewhere. If the connection is not there, then the jiuce cannot get to the battery.
Think of the rectifier as sort of a check valve for the generated AC current. The AC current will [on a good rectifier]flow only one way,to the battery,and by the time it goes through the rectifier,it is now DC current.
If you can get a hold of a Honda repair manual, there are simple tests that you can use to make sure your rectifier is OK. On the Honda page of this site,right at the top of the page is the link to find the free manuals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Stator and regulator/ rectifier check out as good. The multimeter shows a good charge back, the rectifier shows .01 volts of ac current. I did find a short in the left/ front turn signal. Now though my bike just died again. It multimeter shows a 14 volt charge on the battery, but when I push the starter the voltage drops to 7.5- 8 volts on the battery.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Ok, Stator and regulator/ rectifier check out as good. The multimeter shows a good charge back, the rectifier shows .01 volts of ac current. I did find a short in the left/ front turn signal. Now though my bike just died again. It multimeter shows a 14 volt charge on the battery, but when I push the starter the voltage drops to 7.5- 8 volts on the battery.
so what you are saying is that your battery has 14.0 volts sitting there,and 8 volts when you press the starter button,and when you cease pushing the button,you have 14.0 volts again?
If that is the case,then I would take the large negative cable from the battery loose from the frame of the bike,and clean that connection to bare metal and make sure it is nice and tight. In fact,check [and clean!] all the connections of the big wires that connect battery to solenoid ,solenoid the starter,and negative battery post to ground wire.
Why is the bike's battery slowly draining while it runs,but while sitting, it has a resting voltage of 14 volts? How did that happen? There is such a thing as getting a battery to charge too high. charging the battery quickly with a too high setting on an automotive battery charger can damage the battery.
Perhaps you can clarify this for me , or maybe I am just not understanding what you have already shared with us?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The charger is a 12 volt charger made for PWCs and Bikes. I was getting a good charge back of the stator yesterday. and The reg/ rec was fine as well. I do know I have a bad turn signal and going to change it tomorrow, I just can't figure out why I am getting the pull of the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn MAgnet!

The magnet the rotates around the Stator was pulling in the wires and slicing through them, grounding out the charging system. When I replaced the stator the first time, I didnt notice a bent wire guide. The second time I did notice it and flattened it out and have had no problems since. Thanks for you alls help!:71baldboy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts