Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had both serviced recently and felt confident to try commuting by e-bike today. It is about 11 miles in mostly bike lanes. By motorcycle, it is about 9 miles.

I commuted by bike regularly a few years ago so it wasn't completely new, but quite a bit different than by motorcycle. There was a lot of waiting for the lights to change, some iffy drivers, and some construction work. The electric motor helped but not as much as hoped.

I probably won't be bike commuting again. I think commuting by electric motorcycle and then hitting the gym is simpler and more fun. I will stick with riding the bike to the gym.

BC

·
American Legion Rider
25,883 Posts
That's an interesting conclusion. Could you elaborate on what makes you think commuting on a e-bike won't work. Especially with the distance you are talking about. Because to me, that's perfect for e-bikes. Not at all good for combustion type bikes because they don't really get to full operating temperatures. Although with lights and such maybe they do. But e-bikes won't have the same moisture concerns so it seems perfect. So why don't you think it will be good for you? Others are surely interested as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once you get spoiled by an electric motorcycle, an electric bike is just a toy. There, I've said it.

IMHO, riding a motorcycle is safer than riding a bike. I ride both as if people don't see me and it's generally been effective, but every once in a while I get a space cadet who just doesn't notice me. It seems to happen less on the motorcycle vs the bike. With the motorcycle, too, I can mind the gap and work to avoid drivers' blind spots. With the bike, that is harder to do and drivers don't expect a bicyclist to approach on the right.

Traffic signals also seem more timed to cars and motorcycles going ~40MPH. On a bike, I peddle quickly but top speed is about 25MPH. Bike lanes are also not as well cared for as the regular traffic lanes. There was a lot of debris in the bike lanes I used. Also, range is limited. I used 6kWh going 11 miles with the headlight on. I was worried the headlight would shut off so I mostly peddled the last couple of miles.

In my estimate, e-bikes are good for < 5 miles. E-motorcycles are good < 15 miles. Non range extended electric cars are good < 25 miles or so.

YMMV

BC

·
American Legion Rider
25,883 Posts
I can see we have a conflict in terminology. I thought you were talking about an electric motorcycle versus combustion engine motorcycle. Not an electric bicycle versus an electric motorcycle. The term bike is all too often used for both. This is going to be a problem if bike is used anytime now. Bike needs to be politically incorrect it looks like to stop it's use. It's bicycle or motorcycle or there is going to be confusion and misunderstandings. It got me already.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I can see we have a conflict in terminology. I thought you were talking about an electric motorcycle versus combustion engine motorcycle. Not an electric bicycle versus an electric motorcycle. The term bike is all too often used for both. This is going to be a problem if bike is used anytime now. Bike needs to be politically incorrect it looks like to stop it's use. It's bicycle or motorcycle or there is going to be confusion and misunderstandings. It got me already.
At least US Customs has got this issue figured out. An electric bicycle IS an electric motorcycle.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll be seeing Livewires and Zeros being ridden on the sidewalk? It's already crowded enough, what with the rental bikes and the electric scooters.

·
Registered
775 Posts
When they started building cars, some folks called them "Quadricycles". Welcome to English, where a word isn't a proper word until it has 3 totally different meanings.

As happened with US Customs, I think we are going to see some blurring of the lines between lightweight E-bicycles and heavy weight E-motorcycles, and differentiating between them might just be a matter of avoiding the use of word "bike".

·
American Legion Rider
25,883 Posts
Yep. Say bicycle or motorcycle only. The use of the word bike is racist or transgender or something but definitely not PC anymore.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
BIKE BIKE BIKE

Reactions: SemiFast

·
American Legion Rider
25,883 Posts
BIKE BIKE BIKE
Boy, you do like to live dangerously. Throwing words like that
around might get you labeled, hmm...anti-social.

BTW...that is supposed to be red white and blue for the 3
bikes above. I know some still in Light Mode might not be
able to see that unfortunately. :( :( :(

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
It came through in the dark mode Larry

·
American Legion Rider
25,883 Posts
It came through in the dark mode Larry
I knew it did there but I switched to light mode to check before posting