Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys (n Gulls)...

Aside from those who drive "Rolling Coal" pick-em-up trucks, a lot of the REST of us are waiting for the:

"Electric Volkswagon"

You know, a bottom end, dirt cheap, electric car JUST for running around town, plug it in at night as well as some solar panels on top to trickle charge, etc. A glorified golf cart.

No air conditioning, heat, 4x4, just .11/gallon BASIC transportation.

Well, the door has finally been opened to designing one, building it, and most importantly LICENSING it for use on public roads --- at least SOME of them.

A LOT Of you know MANY farmers/ranchers now use ATV's instead of horses to get out to and around their fields. (Often riding short distances on public roadways, illegally)

And a LOT of you know golf carts are increasingly being allowed on roadways in retirement communities, beach communities, etc.

Key point here, is THOSE sorts of vehicles do NOT require NHTSA approval, $1000 worth of airbags, crash testing, impact absorbing bumpers & crumple zones, etc. The things that require hundreds of millions of dollars in design and testing.

(FWIW) Elon Musk said he wished he'd had a BILLION dollars when he started Tesla rather than "only" $500M. And Telsa used a chassis from Lotus, the "Elise" so they got to skip designing a WHOLE LOTTA STUFF...

So J.Paul Brown, State Senator (R) up in Colorado, has proposed (and received a LOT of support) for a bill

ALLOWING ATV's, side-by-sides, etc. to use County Roads, roads under 30mph, etc.

Kaboom!

No, i mean KABOOOM!

The door is potentially opening to an ELECTRIC vehicle, BASED on a side-by-side like a Razr, Polaris whatever...

Who's got one? One preferably with a completely blown motor, trashed, that could be used for a prototyping?

Take out the ICE, beef up the suspension to handle a heavy Lithium Ion battery pack (heavy!) add the electric motor(s) & hi/lo tranny, design controls/circuits...

So this would be an electric vehicle, BASED on (something like) a Polaris chassis/Razr, etc.

Who'd like to be a part of this? Who would want to give up their retirement to help fab a prototype? Who wants to invest? Who wants to order one and is willing to wait endlessly, patiently... just like Tesla's early customers.

Am I pipe dreaming or has the time come for the "People's Electric?"

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
Texas must be ahead of the game. ATV's and such can be driven legally on roads here. Requirement? Just fly one of those cheap orange flags on a whip like stick. Even my Japanese mini-truck can fly down the road without farm tags. Supposed to keep it at 25mph and lower though. But yeah, it's time for cheaper transportation in general. Enough with the luxury stuff. But just how quick will people start asking for that stuff again though. First thing they demand will be heat and air. Just watch!

·
Registered
943 Posts
You might want t read up on Lithium-Ion batteries before you get carried away.

Battery technology has always been a problem as ALL rechargeable batteries use nasty chemicals and heavy metals. It is expensive to produce batteries, they are heavy, they have limited life, and they are damned hard to dispose of easily.

Maybe we ought to use steam power. Steam can be made from anything that will burn, like garbage, used fryer oil, etc. ;)

(Spent my career in electrical/electronics and have been following battery technology for decades.)

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Same here in MN. You can register as a recreation vehicle or as agriculture use vehicle and you can ride/drive all of the above described vehicles and more. Nothing really new here. Besides Polaris already has an electric EV lineup.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polaris INDEED has an electric "UTV" offering

http://www.equipmentworld.com/the-2015-polaris-ranger-ev-is-a-powerful-electric-utv-that-moves-around-the-jobsite-in-stealth/

10 mile range is pretty pathetic. Telsa has offered their battery technology to anyone who wants to use it. That's a start.

I assume Polaris will see they're making 100X more money on ICE powered side-by-sides and the bean counters will quickly kill their electric offering, if the auto industry is any example, as in "Hey, let's ONLY build ginormous pickup trucks since the profit margins on THOSE is so high"

Leaving a gigantic sucking hole where the Toyota 22R trucks used to be...

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Most of the major manufacturers still make a base model 4 cylinder pickup. So again your example is just wrong.

·
6,491 Posts
I applaud the effort to bring viable and affordable electric powered vehicles to the masses at a reasonable operational cost***:icon_cool:

*** Currently, the tax and spend Liberals are very offended that electric car and bike owners can operate their vehicles on the roads without paying gasoline/ diesel fuel taxes! They have a tax plan (Imagine that) that will link miles driven with a tax structure like Dino/ vegetable fuel generates.:icon_mad:

Thank you--you pencil necked Geeks! There is never a break for the working man.:mad:

Another little tid bit: Since gasoline prices are low now, again the Liberals, like our Demoncrat Gov Nixon, are doing their best to raise county, State and Federal Gasoline tax, per gallon sold---you know, to have better roads:mad:

We have a John Deere Gator and a new 2014 Polaris ranger, 800, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6 passenger, side by side, that just sips gasoline and is a hoot to open up that twin, water cooled, fuel injected, 800cc twin and watch my Farm land move by very quickly.

Electric vehicles like passenger cars have been around since before Henry Ford rolled his little vehicle into the streets. Some had solar panels that covered the entire roof of the vehicle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_car

Some of these electric motorcycles are starting to look very good to me for my 24 mile roundtrip commute each day---especially the new HD pre-production prototype! :)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You might want t read up on Lithium-Ion batteries before you get carried away.
Dianne, I rather doubt you got to where you are in life by listening to naysayers.

LiIon batteries indeed have issues, like thermal runaway, but Tesla engineers successfully worked AROUND that with extensive temperature monitoring (thermistors) so as to shut down individual cells /modules having problems.

Waiting for the next generation, 4x higher energy density battery...... you'd kill the entire project and sit on hands? Would 25 year old Dianne have gone along with such a notion? Would we have put men on the moon with that attitude? Sorry if this stings a little, but....

What (most) people don't realize is that the Prius was equivalent to the moonshot in terms of technology. Even the power JFETs used to drive its motors were custom designed and fabb'd. Hardly an off the shelf piece in the critical electronics, not to mention the real-time OS responsible for running it, controlling regen, etc.

As far as dueling credentials, I'm BSEE Vanderbilt, MBA, hold 2 patents, and TAUGHT automotive electronics at San JuanCollege in Farmington. I think I've got the chops to recognize the realities and difficulties of building an electric side-by-side using commercially avaialable technology somewhere between golf-carts and Prius.

The ability to LEGALLY drive off-road vehicles, golf carts, etc. on public roads and bypass the hundreds-of millions in R&D required to satisfy NHTSA (crash testing, airbags, crumple zones, etc) is what has changed the game for a low cost electric vehicle. Batteries are downright easy in comparison to fighting gubbmit regs.

·
6,491 Posts
I be comunitee collage edumacated for eye gat me dreft notice in 1966 BC. Waf get hersef bugered up and ad to stop workin' at da pool hell and dat was dat fer me planed MBA in racket séance. I's dos awright doh an wit me Gumit Obummer phone I's checkin fer werk--well sumtames anysweys!:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Guys (n Gulls)...

A LOT Of you know MANY farmers/ranchers now use ATV's instead of horses to get out to and around their fields. (Often riding short distances on public roadways, illegally)
And a LOT of them are riding legally on the roadways. SD allows ATV's on highways and streets as well as the states mentioned here already.

The farmers using ATV's to check fields and livestock are using a lot less fuel compared to a heavy duty pickup truck. Not so sure the electric would be practical on the farm or ranch.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Anyone know the formula for determining if it would be possible to power an EV using the static electricity generated by stroking one's own ego?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts