Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I got interested in the various devices that can modify a motorcycle's Electronic Control Unit functioning. The idea is that a fuel injection system can't be tuned in the same way that a carburetor can, and many manufacturers don't give the rider or mechanic access to the complex computerized systems that control the fuel injectors, timing and so on. By purchasing an aftermarket device, we can change the things like air/fuel ratio and ignition timing. I was amazed to find how many different makes and types of devices are available.

I'll start by listing as many different gadgets as I have heard of. Maybe folks know of others to add to the list. As we develop a long list, I'll read up on what features the various devices offer, perhaps along with a general description on how the device works technically, and list that information. I'm not so interested in discussing the relative merits of one device vs. another at this point, but want to try to get an understanding of the specs and method of operation of the various systems.

Here's an initial list:
Bazzazz ZFi Fuel control overview – Bazzaz
Bazzazz Z AFM
Dynojet PowerVision Fuel Management | Motorcycle | Dynojet
Dynojet Power Commander
Vance & Hines FuelPak ( various ) VANCE & HINES | FUELPAK FP3
Dobeck EJK EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes
Dobeck Techlusion TFI TFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Sport Bikes
Dobeck AFR + AFR+ - Air/Fuel Ratio gauge plus EFI controller. #1 Fuel trimming and closed loop controller.
PowerTronic Plug N Play Performance ECU - PowerTRONIC
Daytona Twin Tec Daytona Twin Tec - Powered by Network Solutions.
Cobra PowrPro PowrPro Black
Cobra FI2000R
Flash Tune (various) https://ftecu.com/
Booster Plug (various) https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-21.html

I've tried to not list private label versions of the above. It appears that Dobeck's EJK is particularly common as a private labeled product with devices being sold by Lloyd'z, Gman, HMF, Arlen Ness, and probably others. I didn't list factory aftermarket gadgets, like Screaming Eagle branded tuners.

What other products do folks know about?

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Some OEM may claim the computer program is theirs and not to be messed with. Some smart folks can talk to the original ECU. Otherwise you need to purchase a new unit. It depends on how much you want to mess with the original settings. I would look for reliability, easy to use and how well it works. We can road test, which can be a problem for the hard of thinking, or hook it to a dyno with an exhaust analyzer.

UK

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found more candidates.

TTS Mastertune MasterTune Kits and Accessories
Zippers performance ThunderMax ThunderMax® - Performance - All Products
Nightriders AF XIED AF XIED

And here's Harley Davidson's Screaming Eagle Pro Street Tuner: Motorcycle Tuning | Screamin' Eagle | Harley-Davidson USA

Harley used to offer certain other devices, a "Race Tuner" and a "Super Tuner", but apparently no more. I understand that the current Pro Street Tuner only allows the installation of "street legal" ECM maps, that will retain 50 state (California) EPA compliance. This more conservative approach might have something to do with this: Harley-Davidson pays $15M to settle EPA's emissions claims

The justice department was sending a pretty clear message at that time, per the article a representative was quoted as saying ""Anyone else who manufactures, sells, or installs these types of illegal products should take heed of Harley-Davidson’s corrective actions and immediately stop violating the law."" However, that was august of 2016, and things have changed. I suspect we will inevitably see swing back in the other direction, so if folks are interested in this sort of gadget and in riding a machine with a nice rich fuel mixture, an investment in one of these gadgets relatively soon might be advised.

I know that there are more low end gadgets at the simple / cheap end of the market, but I'm having trouble finding these. These are the gadgets that plug into the harness, usually inline with the fuel injector(s), and in various ways influence the ECU to create a richer mixture, attempting to counter the effects of less restrictive exhausts and air filters. If you have any leads, let me know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you would like to know more about EFI systems and get some basic understanding of what these systems do and how they do it, you might find the PowerPoint presentation located at this site to be helpful: http://www530.pair.com/rowand/efibasics/EFI Basics.pdf

The info is HD oriented, but the concepts and methods are generally applicable. Many of ECU add-ons, tuners and other gadgets are discussed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts