Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend owns a Honda CB125 K5 1972, and now we are trying to install electronic ignition to it byt we are stuck with how to connect it.
We have a Tytronic E. ignition unit
The unit has two cables, one red and one green, and the manual only says that connect green to green cable and red to black/white cable from the coil.

But we can´t find any green or black/white cables on the bike.... the manual also says that the connection myst be right, or it will be damage.
Therefore we are asking for help.
The breaker that we removed was connected to a black cable that goes paralell with the condensers to the coil.

So i wonder if anyone here can point us in the right direction on how to connect the e. ignition unit and if the condensers need to bee removed.

Martin

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Hmm, well I can't answer your lack of correct wires but in Honda's world black wires are usually battery + and green are usually ground (battery -).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only green wires we have found goes to the horn, and I dont think that the horn chould get involved in the ignition system :)
But the ones that goes to the coil are blue or black cables.

I was wondering if someone could explain in general how the e. ignition sensor chould connect to the coils.

Martin

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Hello Martin,

Well for the most part, a cable would be 2 or more wires in a casing, but you seem to say a green wire and a red wire.

The way the bike was with 'points and condenser' power would be applied to the coil and the only way the coil would
work is when the points closed, making contact with the bikes frame connected to the battery's negative terminal, and
of course the points would have a condenser across them, maybe 2 wires leave the points, one from the coil and other
wire goes to the condenser, but that has to connect to ground some how.

The coil would have to have two wires, one wire with 12 volts+ on it, other wire to points, BUT using this new electronic
ignition which I have seen, some have two wires that go to a sensor where the points WERE. and it might have a steel
cup on crankshaft with a notch or two in it, and this rotor might spin between a magnet and the sensor.

What happens is that the steel cup flies by sensor and magnet, when the notch of cup comes between sensor and magnet,
a small voltage is induced in the sensor and sent to the module which takes that small voltage and UPS it enough to work
the ignition coil.

Two other wires would go to ignition coil or maybe one wire and coil would have to be grounded, then two wires from this
electronic ignition module to battery positive and negative.

looks like you have to call and talk to someone in customer service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have sent a mail to him but sofar he has not answered. So I was thinking if someone have installed a Tytronic e ignition on a similar bike and could give advice...

Yes the new sensor has two wires a green and a red one. The points only had one cable.

Martin

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Hello Martin,
To make it easier for those who read your posts, a single wire is not a cable, a cable is two or more wires inside a casing.
If ONLY one wire, say a green wire came from the points box, then you'd say, "There was a green wire coming from the points box."
Otherwise if you say cable, we will be expecting you to mention the OTHER wires that don't exist.

I think you mean there was ONE WIRE going to the points,right? That makes sense as there would have been 12 volts + on one side
of the ignition coil, and for coil to make a spark at the plug, the coil had to have a negative side, and it would have found it when the
cam or lobe closed the points as other side of points was at 12 volts -.

Where did you get this electronic ignition kit? when you say you mailed him, you DO mean e-mail. . .right? They don't have a 1-800
phone number? Did this module say it was for the following bikes with your make, model and year included? If you bought this from a
shop selling bike supplies, they should be able to help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for my bad english I am from Finland So i dont know that wire and cable was two different things :)
I meant A single wire in all cases when I say cable.

The E. ignition is from A china seller on Ebay.
I dont now why you has to have 15 post to put in a link so therefore I can´t link it.

Martin

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
So Martin,

When did you email this person? A week ago? Two weeks ago? I hope I am wrong but if it is a nice high voltage spark you wanted
without messing with points, it might have been you that got 'Zapped.' Then again I have no idea where you are from, You say
Finland and I believe you, but are there NO motorcycle shops over there where you could have bought this? Instead of going to Ebay?
I have heard of scams like bait an switch, they show you what you want to see, then when you get it, sadly enough, no way the same
product you thought you bought.

Martin, I do hope they get back to you and that you did not spend too much for this electronic ignition module. I will see if I can find
out anything about this.

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Hello Martin,
I just saw someone install a Tytronic ignition set up for a Honda 305 c.c. 2 cylinder engine, from what I saw it did work.

I saw a Tytronic set for a 1 cylinder There was a rotor, a small one with a magnet in it and just one pick up coil,
that is probably the one you have. I saw the wiring diagram but too quickly to get anything out of it.

You might want to do as I did and see if you can find it, As I did say though, You have two wires to the sensor or pick-up
coil on the plate that goes where the points were. You have to have two wires to the ignition coil, I have NO idea how they
do this but you have to have + and - to the coil. Maybe 1 wire from module goes to coil and other side of coil gets grounded,
can you send me an email with pic of wiring diagram?

Are you in Finland right now? or in the U.S.? this CB125 is 1 cylinder engine. . .right? How many wires going to sensor coil on
plate that goes where points were?

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
Hello Martin,
O.k. I saw your post that said you have a green and red wire from sensor coil, do these go back to the module?
Or do they split somewhere?

You say in your first post, "The unit has two wires, one red and one green, and the manual only says that connect green
to green cable and red to black/white cable from the coil.

Are you saying there is a green from module and to connect green from sensor to green from module? Then the red
from sensor to black/white wire from coil?

Martin, you refer to a unit and the sensor, the sensor having the red and green wires. How many wires coming out of
the MODULE UNIT ? What color are the wires?I am trying to help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The e ignition sensor has 2wires a green and a red. The manual says, connect the green wire from sensor to green wire on the bike and second connect red wire from sensor to black/white on bike, but the bike has no green or black/white wire. If they had supplied a wiring diagram with the sensor it had been easy to connect the sensor.
The bike is a two cylinder engine with two coils but only one breaker, so i think that both spark plugs fire att the same time but only the one that have compresson stroke ignite.
I have myself found wiring diagram on 350cc but that engine has two sensors and the wiring is not the same.

Martin

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
The bike is a 2 cylinder? Damn who would have freaking guessed that? I had a 1971 Honda SL-125 1 cylinder.
Well the guy I saw on the internet had a wiring diagram, and you did not get one? Yeah that is typical for people
buying from Ebay, someone has a Tytronics ignition kit they lost the diagram for, they can't use it so they put it
on Ebay and get their $$ back. Well see if you can actually find a bike dealer who might sell these kits and explain
your situation maybe you can pay him to hook it up. Good Luck Martin, I am sorry I could not help you and I did
not want to guess at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts