Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Finished a 15 hour basics course and was feeling confident. Hopped on a bike that had been given to me - a Suzuki Savage 650. Pretty well kept.

I figured I'd take a few short rides on back roads before commuting. Took a trip to the store. Stopped to turn left into parking lot. Waited for clearance, turned, smooth as butter, feeling pretty good at this point.... there was a little bump up from the street to the parking lot - a tapered edge at the sidewalk - I guess my wrist positioning was high because as the handles bumped up I revved the engine which pushed me back on the bike which made me rev more. I grabbed the clutch as quickly as I could but bike was swerving and I was nearly off the back of it by that point.

My confidence is now pretty much shattered. Any tips on wrist positioning? If I position my wrist low (closer to the ground) when I'm cruising then it would be high when I let off the throttle. I don't want to get yanked back and rev the throttle again.

Help is welcome?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I'm fine (band-aid only scrapes) and the bike is fine-ish. Bent the peg and the front right brake lever.

As I was pulled backwards on the bike my wrist/hand position was rolling back and off the throttle so it was effectively revving the engine. Not sure if that was clear prior.

Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,843 Posts
Hands are constantly repositioning as you ride.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
First of all, welcome. I am sure that wrecking your bike blew your confidence all to hell, and maybe bent up your confidence a little...l know that it did that to me the first time l crashed my bike.

You want my advice? Get back on that bike and ride. Take it easy and stay calm. Ride around your neighborhood, or a nearby neighborhood with 25 mph speed limits. Practice starting and stopping. Practice scanning the road, looking for dangers...even though you are going slow doesn't mean a danger wouldn't be significant if you were going faster.

Most of all, get back on that horse. The longer you wait, the bigger it will be in your mind. I know this from experience. I walked away from a wreck when l was 22 and just got back on the bike this year...l'm 43.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Start with your wrist low, about level with the grip. (Per Exercise 1 in the BRC)

Your wrist won't be high at idle, since you started in a level position, and will end in the same position when the throttle is released, correct?

Once you get more practice with controlling the motorcycle, you can adjust your grip for comfort without having to worry about the wrist position as much. I would still advise against starting with a really high wrist when experienced, unless you are drag racing.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Easiest way I have found was you want to pretend you have a book on your lower arm. You want that book to stay flat and not fall off. BTW, I own a Savage also. Also own the S40, which is basically the same as the Savage, just a different name.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully now that you've got your first drop out of the way things will go better.

As Dods says, start with your wrist flat. That helps to not allow you to "over rev". You will keep better control that way. Remember if you start to loose control Don't Look Down!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've bit the dust before, so has most of the people on this forum. You may feel bad now but the only way this will hang over your head forever is if you give up. If you still work and the bike still works then you just learned a valuable lesson on the cheap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For everyday riding I like to place my throttle hand on the grips at idle so that my hand and wrist form a straight line. Any throttle I add makes my wrist twist down a bit but that means I never find myself with too much unintended throttle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Riding suggestions - Mr Bill

My suggestion is to be a proactive rider. What do I mean? Here is an example. Most people go through a green light (cars) looking straight forward. As a motorcyclist you have to look both ways since someone may blow a red, turn in front of you etc. Any road that intersects with you is a hazard.

Always go slow on turns. That is the place where all the rocks debris fall off trucks, cars etc. My friend was not watching and wiped out ( broken arm ).

Watch behind for on coming cars at lights as an example. Several motorcyclist killed that way.

Don't leave clutch in neutral at light in case you need to get out of a situation. State Trooper suggestion from Des Plaines Honda discussion.

Braking - Brake with front and rear always.

What else? I ride every day and high mileage so I check my bike every few days. Fluids, Lights, Tires, etc.

Here is a good story. Driving down a 4 lane road, 2 north and 2 south. No traffic or obstruction of view. I am in the right lane. I see a lady coming up to a stop sign (side street) and realize she is not stopping at the stop sign but slowing down and turning. It's if I was invisible.

I saw it in time, beeped, she stopped at the sign and all I could see is her hands covering her face probably realizing she could of run me over.

Jump in if anyone would like to add. Always looking for a different point of view to learn something different.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
My suggestion is to be a proactive rider. What do I mean? Here is an example. Most people go through a green light (cars) looking straight forward. As a motorcyclist you have to look both ways since someone may blow a red, turn in front of you etc. Any road that intersects with you is a hazard.

Always go slow on turns. That is the place where all the rocks debris fall off trucks, cars etc. My friend was not watching and wiped out ( broken arm ).

Watch behind for on coming cars at lights as an example. Several motorcyclist killed that way.

Don't leave clutch in neutral at light in case you need to get out of a situation. State Trooper suggestion from Des Plaines Honda discussion.

Braking - Brake with front and rear always.

What else? I ride every day and high mileage so I check my bike every few days. Fluids, Lights, Tires, etc.

Here is a good story. Driving down a 4 lane road, 2 north and 2 south. No traffic or obstruction of view. I am in the right lane. I see a lady coming up to a stop sign (side street) and realize she is not stopping at the stop sign but slowing down and turning. It's if I was invisible.

I saw it in time, beeped, she stopped at the sign and all I could see is her hands covering her face probably realizing she could of run me over.

Jump in if anyone would like to add. Always looking for a different point of view to learn something different.
A lot of this I have as a habit from cycling, I started biking again to and from work and it's just insane how invisible you are. So it was an easy habit to keep my head on a swivel when I started on the MC.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Hey Greenee

Let me add a big splash of perspective to your minor accident.

It WAS a minor accident. And that's all.
PICK yourself up, shake off the dust, GET BACK ON the bike, and keep riding.
What you described - is just no big deal.

If a bunch of experienced riders had seen you do that ...
well Yeah we would have fallen down laughing our guts out
BUT then someone would have come over
Dusted off you and your bike, and told you to get back on.

It just isn't a big deal at all. STUFF HAPPENS in the MC world.
deal with it and move on!!

HAHAHA!!
dT

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hey all,

My confidence is now pretty much shattered.
Help is welcome?
We all have scares here and there. Do not let that shatter your confidence. However, it sounds to me that maybe you were overconfident to begin with. Stay humble because a bike will humble you as you now know. Remember that your a new rider. Take your time, remember what you learned in the BRC about wrist positioning and practice, practice practice. Good luck and stay up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts