Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into buying a first bike, and I have a bit of opinion-related questions.

Here are the bikes I'm considering. I'm almost definitely going to buy used, and I'm not putting too much weight on year:

Ducati Monster, 600cc-750cc, although 900cc keeps popping up too
Triumph Speed Triple, 1050cc
Triumph Thruxton, 865cc
Buell Lightning, 984cc

Obviously I want a naked bike, and I want it to be unique, mean looking, and sexy. It basically needs to serve not only as a fun, effctive mode of transportation, but as a fashion accesory as well.

I guess my first question is, am I crazy to buy such a large displacement bike as my first?

Second, I've gotten conflicting reviews about these bikes. Some people love their Ducati's, others say they just have too many gremlins and are in the shop all the time. I havent heard a bad thing about Triumph yet, but even used with 15,000 miles they clock in at a higher price than a Monster. Buell has been recomended, but finding a Buell thats not a Blast has been a bit of a chore as well.

Help me out guys, let me know how you feel about these bikes!!

·
Confused
56 Posts
I just bought my first bike two weeks ago, a Triumph Bonneville. When I was at the dealership, the sales guy I was talking to said that the Bonneville would be a borderline good first motorcycle. He told me that as long as I took my time, spent a couple of weeks practicing in parking lots and slow roads, I would have no problems. When I looked at the Speed Triple, he flat out told me that he wouldn't sell me one as a new rider. Just too much for a new rider.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I would strongly suggest learning to ride on a smaller bike and trading up once you have your head wrapped around riding and built up the muscle memory needed to control the machine smoothly and competently. This can only come from practice and miles on the road, not from maturity or "taking it easy". Odds are it will be a lot easier on your body, motorcycle and pocketbook.

Good, safe riding skills are developed through patience and practice, not "looking good" on the bike. It all depends where your priorities lie.

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,672 Posts
As a first bike every one of those bikes, with possibly the exception of the Monster 600, is waaay too much bike for a beginner. 99% of the members on this forum will recommend you buy a cheap used bike for the first year of riding before you go out and buy your dream bike. The majority of new riders will drop their bike, some several times, and trust me, you do NOT want to drop that lovely piece of Italian engineering.

Good bikes for new riders include cruisers up to 750cc or so and sport bikes up to 500cc. Some people also like to recommend Suzuki SV650s due to their very forgiving, though still plenty powerful, engine. Of the bikes you listed, the Ducati Monster 600 would be the best choice. I don't know how much these bikes go for used, though, so you still may want to get a cheaper bike to start off with before moving on to the Ducati.

·
Dis Membered
249 Posts
Ducati Monster, 600cc-750cc, although 900cc keeps popping up to
Triumph Speed Triple, 1050cc
Triumph Thruxton, 865cc
Buell Lightning, 984cc
Monster...............(650-750) underpowered but 900 ROCKS!! + reliable
Speed triple..........huge power but need suspension mods (real harsh)
Thruxton..............See Monster :p + poor build quality
Buel....................See Thruxton :eek: - reliability ( i is a harley motor :D)

Go the Monster 900, meybe the S4 (good suspension brakes etc)

·
Registered
463 Posts
+1 to Primalmu and Dods.
Make mistakes, scuff, and drop a $2000 bike, not an expensive one.
and if one of those monsters gets away from you, you won't look good on it dead.

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
I too am looking for a good beginner bike... Im looking for something more vintage though...
How vintage? You can get a Royal Enfield for not too much money, and they haven't changed their design in decades.

·
Dis Membered
249 Posts
+1 to Primalmu and Dods.
Make mistakes, scuff, and drop a $2000 bike, not an expensive one.
and if one of those monsters gets away from you, you won't look good on it dead.
Your so negative :D

·
Exorcising My Angels
655 Posts
I agree. He could look GREAT on it dead, as long as you patch up the bike and have him properly taxidermied :D

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I too am looking for a good beginner bike... Im looking for something more vintage though...
How vintage? You can get a Royal Enfield for not too much money, and they haven't changed their design in decades.
Don't hijack the thread, knicky make your own thread.

Sandwich, just like primalmu said, all those bikes are way too much except maybe the monster 600. Really, if you want to ride to look cool just don't ride because having a motorcycle as a fashion accessory isn't cool; use the money to buy a used corvette.

If you really want to ride learn on a smaller "standard", you can pick up a good beginner bike for under $1500, sometimes under $1000. You'll save as much on insurance as the cost of the bike. Then when you get the bike you want you'll know how to ride it, you'll be less likely to drop it, it will be cheaper to insure and you will overall be much happier.

·
track junkie
797 Posts
the thruxton wouldn't be a terrible first bike. (it's an aircooled 865 w/ 5 gears)

but the 1050 speed triple is an absolute monster and a newb has no business riding one.

i think a monster or a thruxton would be your best choice. or, why not get an SV650? they're cheap, they're great, they're bulletproof, and their cheap to fix. Personally, I think the SV is a better bike than the older monsters, just doesn't have the Ducati badge on it...

·
├•┤ Pew Pew
1,660 Posts
I bought my first bike as a fashion accessory as well (ZX-7R) and I learned the bike doesn't look half as sexy if you don't know how to properly handle it (took me a long time to get it down). Now I just like riding the the sexy bike is just a plus :)

Start on an older bike, I never dropped mine but came terribly close a few times.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 600 Monster is supposedly a pretty docile and newb-friendly bike. I've never ridden one, but they're pretty much a standard anyway, rather than a pure sportbike.

I have ridden a Speed Triple. Took a Demo Ride after only riding a few months. Didn't have any problems but I would NOT want to have one as my daily rider until I have at least 5,000 or so miles under my belt. Way way way too much temptation to hooligan it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A kid at my school had a Monster 600, never seemed to be too monsterous for him and he rode safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought my first bike two weeks ago, a Triumph Bonneville. When I was at the dealership, the sales guy I was talking to said that the Bonneville would be a borderline good first motorcycle. He told me that as long as I took my time, spent a couple of weeks practicing in parking lots and slow roads, I would have no problems. When I looked at the Speed Triple, he flat out told me that he wouldn't sell me one as a new rider. Just too much for a new rider.
My uncle also got a Triumph Bonneville and that was his 1st bike. He's had it for roughly a year now and he said he felt it was the perfect 1st bike. He hasn't had any problems with it. I just came back from Fl., and I can honestly say for that being my first time being able to ride alone, it felt great. It's mostly about putting in the time and effort to learn how to control it and as well as not be a hothead and think you're invincible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts