Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Very happy to join your forum. I am a new rider, who after 10 years dreaming of having a Monster, finally got a 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (6 speed) with 20K km on it this September, and can't possibly be happier.

A week ago on my way to work, after a 8 km ride, I suddenly felt the bike was jerking after setting off of a red light turning green. It felt like the bike was coughing quite strongly, nothing I felt before, so I stopped at the side of the road, shut the motor, turned it on again and drove away slowly to examine the situation. It was happening when the clutch was 90%-100% engaged. And so I drove the last km playing with the clutch lever to avoid these jerks. Giving the bike enough power to ride and then disengaging it to avoid the coughing like jerks. On my way back from work - same thing. I drove a day after to my local bike workshop, telling them it might be my sparkplugs, as an experienced friend of mine suggested. They replaced both and one did seem to be burnt black, while the other looked normal. The problem was gone, but then another one occured, similar - but different. At the same time it started to get real cold (I live in Berlin). Around 32f or 0°-2°. What happened was that I felt the bike was jerking, but now in different speeds and situations. More around 2500-3000rpm, steady throttle, in all gears. During all the rides these couple of last days, (because the weather was so cold, and because it's air cooled) the engine temp. would reach not more than 55°-65°, even after a 10km ride. Today I set off to the workshop. It was a longer ride and a lot of traffic, so the engine reached at some point 84°, a temp. it never reached since the problem occured, cause the weather got so cold in a matter of days - and behold - it ran smoothly, no problem at any speed. Checked it on the motorway too to be sure. Just like I knew it from before. My question is.. Is that typical? Does a motor do that at low temp.? Does it make since it does that but doesn't do that in the few first minutes of riding at 55° in summer time? Why? Because the air it feeds with is so cold to begin with? Just very funny this happened together with sparkplug situation, so now I can't tell the difference anymore and a bit confused! Thank you all for reading this very long thread. Many thanks for any answers:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know about your jerking in relation to engine temp, but on my Aprilia a couple of years ago it started to jerk badly. I pulled over, shut it off and restarted, all good for a mile or two then it started jerking again. It was a clogged inlet mesh attached to my fuel pump inside the fuel tank. So I replaced fuel filter, cleaned mesh, reassembled everything and it's all good now. I don't get gas from that station anymore and now try to use a filtered funnel when refueling when possible.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum:grin:

I've had 2 Ducati's and I love them:smile_big:

Your problem is more than likely 'FUEL' related, so I'd probably drain the tank, just in case you got some bad petrol and refuel and then replace the 'fuel filter,' whether in the tank or outside the tank and then do this:

Buy a can of 'fuel system' cleaner :

Reiniger des Kraftstoffsystems :surprise:

Once you get the cleaner, put a LOT of it in the tank and go for a 'spirited' ride, using the full spectrum of RPM's and lots of times, this takes care of the problem:grin:

Please------By all means, don't slip the clutch at all! Dry and wet clutches will wear out quickly if treated so:surprise:

Let us know the outcome:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts