Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about a 20 minute highway ride to my high school which is in a small town (about 1200 people so I won't ever be in traffic) and I don't know what would be a better bike to ride to and from school daily. I am in southern Colorado right next to mountains so there would be endless off road trails to ride on if I had a dual sport, but if I had a cruiser I could also just take the highways that go through the mountains. The main thing though is just the 20 minute ride to school and the 20 minute ride back. So what do you guys think would be better for my first bike? Would you pick the dual sport or the cruiser if you were in this situation?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I won't ever be in traffic
Perhaps, but where's there's less people there's more critters, which can throw you off balance. I had a deer pop out on my the other day. While it wasn't real close, cause I happened to be paying attention, but still too close. It's not just other people that can cause harm. Gravel and wet leaves can lead to poor traction.

You've left out some relevant information, which would be helpful pick a bike like you're experience level would be big. If you've not taken the BRC, doing so is a good idea. It will give you a safe environment to see where you skill level is at and you can go from there. If you want to explore the wilderness, a dual sport seems like a good idea, but they tend to be tall or ill-fitting for shorter riders, which is something to consider.

I think most here would advise a smaller less powerful bike for a rider with little to no experience. My TU250x will cruise all day long at 60MPH, but it also light and nimble, which is good for a new rider. Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
small cruiser vs small dual sport............dual sport

20 min ride is what you have to do...........you will go for longer rides, but a small cruiser is no better than a dual sport for comfort + you can head off road.

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,941 Posts
Definitely take into consideration what RobMoore said. But if height was not an issue, and l had the opportunity to ride in the woods, that would be an easy one for me. I love the dirt ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think the OP has said ride to high school so I assume they are not yet eighteen, also they said there were a lot of trails around the area. Pretty much sounds like you are interested in off road riding, my advice is to get a dual purpose of 400cc that will not be too heavy for off road but still get you enough power/speed for highway use, at least for shorter distances. But then you must make the decision of what kind of riding you will do. Cruisers don't make good trail bikes.

·
American Legion Rider
22,491 Posts
Cruisers aren't the best at off road but they'll do muchmore than most people have the skill to do. I've had my hog down some nasty abandoned fire trails and we have Rollin' right here documenting the roads he's been on and the minor changes to his cruiser with tires to do it. So if you know how to ride you can take a cruiser to a lot of places. Don't discount the bike but know your own abilities. For a newbie I would suggest an off road type though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts