Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found the cleanest, original, 1964 Honda Trail 55 I've ever seen before (Actually I've never seen one before this). 1,000 original miles, and everything works except the horn. Original paint, tool kit, no rot whatsoever, inside tank was clean, bare metal with no rust or even patina. Starts, runs, idles and shifts perfectly. Even the original tool kit is in it, and the plastic cover with the snaps doesn't have one tear. The muffler and battery box (two other spots prone to corrosion) are sparkling clean. There are very tiny touch-ups where small scratches were cared for at some time. Not a crack anywhere in the plastic. Sooooo....YES, of course I bought it.

Have a vintage plate. This baby's going to some bike shows!

Here she is:

View attachment 51812
View attachment 51814

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SWEEET! I've never craved one -- but even I would've snapped that beauty up. Congratulations!
Thanks.
Ya' know, I never craved one either. But this I couldn't resist! I like most all vintage bikes. It's a rare bird for sure. Kind of funny that it came with the perfect length of chain with the master on it for changing to the large sprocket. Really fast too. Three speeds and 35 MPH with the small sprocket! Also unusual was that it has turn signal lights on the front, none on the rear, and there is no switch on the handlebars to turn them on. I think the Japanese were smoking something when they developed this one. ;)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,500 Posts
Very nice find

·
Ace Tuner
3,489 Posts
I am amazed that ANY 1964 Trail 55 could be in that good of condition.
Do you know how it was stored or the story behind how it has remained in such good condition?

Congrats on a rare find.

·
American Legion Rider
25,902 Posts
Well, you lucky dog you. Great find !!!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well done, sir!

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am amazed that ANY 1964 Trail 55 could be in that good of condition.
Do you know how it was stored or the story behind how it has remained in such good condition?

Congrats on a rare find.
I'm just as amazed. All the owner could tell me (he collects vintage bikes and is older and now downsizing) was that the lady who sold it to him said that it came from her Grandfather, who bought it new in '64. I asked about storage because that always interests me, but he never queried the lady on that. She had to sell it, and actually teared up a bit when she sold it to the guy I bought it from. I would have rather she been able to hold on to it for sentimental reasons than buy it from her. But she needed to sell evidently. Kinda' sad.

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
That's amazing! Great find!

Reactions: 122178

·
Visionary
5,246 Posts
How come every 'deal' I look at on craigslist " needs a bit of TLC" turns out to be a pile of rusty parts that don't even belong together, sitting in 3 old milk crates? What's your secret?

Reactions: 122178
1 - 20 of 45 Posts