Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been probably 12 or more years since I've done it, but I dropped my Goldwing yesterday making a hasty u-turn. About 200 feet from home I realized I forgot something, so I was just rushing things and not really being careful about what I was doing, I had to let off the throttle mid turn to miss some debris in the road and it started to go over. I put my foot down to catch it, but quickly realized I was beyond the point of no return, so I just let the bike lay down. No damage or anything, and I just picked it back up and continued on.

Moral of the story: Don't get in so much of a hurry you forget about the task of riding properly!

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
Yep, It happens. At least you could have kept quiet and no one would have known since you got it back up yourself. I dropped mine in gravel on a hill and had to call for help. Couldn't get good footing. Two of us couldn't do it. Had to get the ATV and rope to yank it back up. So EVERYONE knew.:(:D

·
Noob Rider
125 Posts
my dad dropped his road king this weekend on our ride. I just got a new bike and since I cant flatfoot it any uneven surface is still a challenge. I almost dropped it a couple times and he was so busy watching me he dumped his :(

he had crash bars so there wasnt any damage-he was more upset the he spilled his coffee lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
My brother gas been riding for nearly 30 years and claims he's never laid one down. I trust my brother implicitly with my life (he's an Army officer for nearly 30 years now with an impressive resume, so think he's earned my trust), BUT.....

NEVER?!?!?!

You decide! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's the one thing I'm afraid of doing when I get a bike. Actually the embarrassment if and when it happens is probably what I fear the most.

·
American Legion Rider
18,508 Posts
My brother gas been riding for nearly 30 years and claims he's never laid one down. I trust my brother implicitly with my life (he's an Army officer for nearly 30 years now with an impressive resume, so think he's earned my trust), BUT.....

NEVER?!?!?!

You decide! :)
It's possible but how many miles are we talking in that 30 years? If only 3k I'm not too impressed but 300k I'd be surprised but congratulate him. The latter highly unlikely though but is possible. I'd say he's due and will probably pull a muscle then when he does because he doesn't know to just let it happen.

That's the one thing I'm afraid of doing when I get a bike. Actually the embarrassment if and when it happens is probably what I fear the most.
Don't worry about it. Just let it happen and not hurt yourself. That is the key. Know when to let go. Pulled muscles take a long time to heal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
He does ride a lot - probably puts in 300 miles a week on average for the entire season (and his goes a lot longer as he takes it with him on deployments when he is in...um...shall we say "warmer climates" ;) )

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yikes, on the way to work today I almost managed to lose a battle with gravel. Dont lean at 30 degreees on a gravel road into work :p.

It seems its easy to forget when you aren't in the safety stage of mind all the time :(.

·
Registered
48 Posts
In 40 years of riding I've dropped a lot of bikes. This year I did it in Laconia in front of thousands. Pulled in to a grass parking lot and went to put my foot down where the women were colecting the parking money. Surprise there was a rut there and my legs weren't long enough. Fortunately 5 woman came over and held the bike up before it could hit the ground.

I don't get embarrased anymore. When I was in my 20's I pulled up to an intersection and reved the bike trying to be cool in front of 5 girls that were standing on the corner. Just as I reved the bike and put my foot down in oil the bike came down on top of me. The girls said "that was real cool. Can you do that again?"

Most people drop their bikes at one time or another. Don't let it bother you.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
You have to remember, bikes are heavy, even the little ones, and they don't like to stand up, they are lazy and they all like to lay down unless they are forced to stand up.

One exception, although the bike is lazy, the Vision has a problem with laying down on it's own, it's just built so that it can't get comfortable laying down so it just squats.

·
Registered
503 Posts
When I traded in my 2001 Deuce for an 08 Street Glide I had to learn to ride all over again. I had to learn trail braking around corners. After watching expert riding videos on Youtube and a lot of practice I finally got good enough to take u-turns very slowly with out dropping it. When I first got it I dropped it twice and I'd been riding for almost 38 years.

·
Noob Rider
125 Posts
its been a rough week. dropped my new bike yesterday then today I realized halfway to work -on the freeway- that I had left one of my panniers open :/

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It's better to gently lay it over than tear a muscle or tendon trying to keep it off the ground.

Great comment. Having to catch a falling motorcycle puts your back in a awkward position and makes you use muscles in ways they are not normally used. this is a recipe for disaster.

I know this from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts